P0103 P1884 p1590

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
00 dII 100k. Service engine light came on at start. Stalled at idle. Read about the air box and no air filter at all. I put new filter in and cleaned MAF. Cleared the codes and let sit 5 minutes. Still same problem, p0103 and p1884 and stalling (no p1590 code this time). I just cleaned the MAF again and cleared the codes, Im letting it sit longer for the MAF cleaner to dry. What do you think? Where can I get a MAF cheap.
Forgot to mention the exhaust smelled different not failing cat but different. Whats got me baffled is there was no warning, It was running fine then shut it off, a few hours later when i started it again it started with the SEL on and ran like **** then stalled.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, recleaning did nothing. Started with no problem ran for about 30 secs and shut off. Restarted it, it ran rough with SEL on.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DII & MAF & cheap don't all belong in the same sentence.

You're best bet if cheap is trying to find a known good (no codes) used one.

It's not likely that you will sucessfully clean a bosch MAF.

I also don't think the maf will keep it from running, tho' I might be mistaken.

luck,greg

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Greg, You know the chances of finding a good used maf. I have read some post of your saying you have successfully cleaned many maf's so I thought i would give it a shot. I just got in from disconnecting the mafs from 2 of my other vehicles and they both died so I think "(think)" that it may stall it.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I just noticed that you have a d1. disregard everything above except the disconnecting MAF's

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found an OEM for a buck 25 Now thats cheap. far cry from the stealership. But I still don't want to drop a bean and a quarter on a "I think it might be a" so I'm going to wait for some rover know it alls to say hey stupid. It's the blablabla, dumb newbie. hahaha Thanks Joe

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chance of cleaning the new style Bosch MAF are slim and none, they will usually always just fail. I your case, your MAF needs to be replaced, and as already mentioned, Good and cheap don't go together when buying a NEW MAF.
There are good cheap aftermarket MAF's on the market and they usually always throw codes when plugged in. There is a generic Bosch MAF, per size and shape that will fit and it throw codes. The only thing to do is find some one that sells a Rover boxed MAF, with the correct part number, priced for $200 or less.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one cheap. They are claiming it is oem. Does any one have a part number so I can compare it to this one?

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has 2 numbers. Err7171 and 0280.217.532 is this a real rover part or a junker?

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are they asking for it, actual cost from Bosch to Rover is about $150, so if you are paying less then that, you are not getting a good replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo