Packing a Spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only done some scenic off roading (getting there though) and was wondering how you folk w/out racks or swing-away carriers pack your spare in the back. Securing it laying doen in the back works, but taks a lot of space . . .

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least the rig gets DIRTY!!! (well sorta . . .) :creep:

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, I lash mine to the tie down points in the rear. I place it vertically up against the passenger side bulkhead, and use two ratchet (not cam lock) tie down straps, one fore and one aft of the tire. It is a secure hold, relatively out of the way, and easily accessible should you need it on the trail.

This is not a very good picture, but it might give you the general idea:
IMG_1647-800.gif

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lashdown points are low . . . doesn't it tilt if I don't pack it tight with gear?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lashdown points are low . . . doesn't it tilt if I don't pack it tight with gear?

That's why I use Ratchet straps. Start at the forward tie down point, loop the strap outside the tire (towards center of vehicle) and up through the center hole of the rim, and back down to the same forward tie down point on the inside of the tire, and then tighten them up nice and snug. Do the forward one first, so that it pulls the tire up tight against the back of the seat. Then do the rear tie down point the same way. I have thousands of miles off rigorous off road activity with the tire stowed this way. No problems.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I don't keep my spare in the cargo area, I think this would work well for keeping it secure. It took about 20 min to chop the track to the correct length & drill the holes for mounting - super easy mod that had proven to be extremely useful!

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 44

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice idea using the existing hardpoints for the hold downs. I use those same tracks in my Jeep. Very handy indeed.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really useful . . .
Where does one get the "track"? . . . is it "whackable" w/a hacksaw or do I need to go buy REAL MAN tools?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112