Please assist a prospective LR3 owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 4 kids and put the two little ones in car seats in one side and the center, leaving the other side available for flipping forward to make it easier for the bigger kids to get in and out of the rear seats. Works great. Those rear seats are far more roomy and comfortable than any other 3rd row SUV seats I've ever been in, including the huge GMC XLT things.

trackstar

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I pulled the trigger today and we are taking delivery on Friday. 06 SE with the V8, 30k miles, Buckingham Blue on Alpaca, cold weather package, lighting package, rear PDC...dealer was great and they're fitting new brakes and tires before we take delivery...wife and I were very pleased with the space and the driving dynamics.

I have no idea if it will fit in my garage, we'll see what happens...no other 3 row SUV would either, so it's no loss.

I'll have to play with car seat/booster seat configs when we get to that point (right now we just have 1 rear facing + 1 11yr old; soon it will be 1 rear facing + 1 booster + 12 yr old :biggrin:)

Now I have to look into a chip and maybe a bullbar with some lights. :evil:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come. Nice of the dealer to fit new tires and brakes too.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. What is a chip, and what functionality are you looking for a bull bar to provide?

trackstar

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. What is a chip, and what functionality are you looking for a bull bar to provide?

Chip aka ECU/reflash etc. Apparently there aren't any options.

Bullbar would be for some light offroading, but also aesthetics, someplace to mount aux lights, and to keep my wife from bumping anything at the mall :hello:

trackstar

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERF...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Came across this on ebay - I have no idea who the seller is or what the chip does.

Probably just a resistor (POS, likely to blow up your engine). I would only use a chip from a reputable, well-known tuner, and they usually cost $400-1000. An acquaintance had his Yukon Denali 6.3 V8 tuned (ECU progrmaming + dyno), and it yielded about a 40% increase in mpg. I was hoping for a similar option for the LR, but it doesn't look like anything is out there.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip aka ECU/reflash etc. Apparently there aren't any options.

Bullbar would be for some light offroading, but also aesthetics, someplace to mount aux lights, and to keep my wife from bumping anything at the mall

Ah, got it. Hmmm....
I suggest perhaps a change in perspective might be necessary. The LR3 is not a tuner car, nor is it an Escalade. It is a unique creature that will grow with you. I promise you, you will not fully understand and appreciate this vehicle's potential and capabilities for quite some time. You will need to expand/alter your frame of reference considerably before you begin to understand just what kind of vehicle the LR3 can be.

Chip'ing: Land Rover has a habit of rolling out software packages from time to time that erase whatever enchancements the aftermarket chipset provided. In the UK, quite a few people use a product called Turbo Chip specifcally for the turbo diesel powered LR3 (TdiV6). I don't know ANYONE who has benefically chipped the petrol based version. With 300 hp stock, hasn't been much need for it. Easier to drive more agressively for a while, and let the car learn your preferences, and it will. The engine/tranmission management system is adaptive. Since your's is used, perhaps your deal with the dealership can wipe the memory settings clean and give you a good fresh baseline to adapt from. Then there is always the option to snick the transmission to the left into Sport mode, twirl the TR into Sand mode, and mash the go pedal with great abandon :)

Bull Bar: I strongly reccommend against them. The metal bars you've seen only bolt to the bottom of the truck with a few small bolts, and do nothing more than dent your hood in addition to the bumper when you hit something. Something slightly more protective is the factory A-Bar system, which is plastic, but does offer mounting locations for lights. Here are a few pictures of this:

100200638_AG2et-L-3.jpg

100200824_dcArx-L-3.jpg

As for lights, I STRONGLY reccomend you stay away from the Land Rover off road lights. A dim candle on a windy day in the fog will produce more light. Get some proper LightForce or Hella HID off road lights and you will be MUCH happier. However, if you have the xeons already (not sure if you do), you will not NEED off road lights. The Xeons are stupendously bright. Anything else is just decoration, not functional. If you have the stock Halogen, they can be upgraded to xeon bulbs with an aftermarket harness kit for about $350. Either of these two options will produce more and better lighting than a bumper mounted aftermarket light.

The best thing you can do for your LR3 is to donate the factory Goodyear Wrangler HP tires to the local recycle center, and by proper tires for it. The HP's suck in every category possible for a tire to be listed in. Here is a link to tire info: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46
196424005_wPj9C-L-1.jpg

The next best thing you can do is attend your dealers next quarterly "Wheeler Day" event where they take you off roading. These events are very basic, but they are off pavement and will dip your toe into the ocean of potential within these vehicles.

Then, seek out your nearest Land Rover club. For example, in the Los Angeles area, the club is www.sclr.org. We do regular trail runs, at least monthly. Here is a link to a few SCLR runs:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=26

230831202_kBouo-XL.jpg

txAlfa

Reaction score
http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_65.php

You need to see this product. Keep rearward facing until 2 y.o. per latest studies (search Autoweek or even web for Wisconsin study within 12 months and new CDC/CSPC guidelines). Then stay in 5 point harness as long as size permits before boosting. The Radian 65 is great. Only issue is when empty, the metal clip securing the buckle sometimes hits other parts beneath the seat -- many are metal -- and might rattle.

Narrowest seat for its capacity that I found. You don't need any 80+ pound seats unless your kid is obese, incredibly huge or disabled, as most growth charts show 65 pounds equating to heights beyond those accepted by any car seat (forgetting even that kids that age won't accept a 5 point harness at 9 years old!).

+1 on the Radian seats. We have a Radian80...I think the only reason we didn't get the Radian65 was because the wife liked a specific color combo. :adore: "yes dear"

I can put both the center and other side down without having to force anything. Now that we got a second on the way, we know we will get another one so we can put them together and still be able to put the end seat down and allow others to get to the back (3rd) row seats if needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM