Power Steering Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... I have a leak somewhere around the pump. I have replaced the low pressure hose as it seemed to be leaking from there after I cleaned the area. Started almost overnight. It's still leaking. Seems to leak more when I shut the Disco 2 (2003) off and it sits for an hour or more. It's hard to get in there without tearing things apart. The high pressure hose is dry. Is there anywhere else I should look around the pump? Hate to rip apart without an idea where/what to look for.

2003 Discovery SE-7 (with no ACE)

Thanks,
Jaak

Last edited:

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update ... seems it is leaking between the two housings on the Power Steering Pump on the bottom side. Looks like there is a gasket there. Guess I'll have to replace the pump.:frown:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to either replace the seal or have it rebuilt at your local hydraulic shop... don't buy a new one.... cost is not cheap.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly I need to get to work ... 45 Km one way. I found an independant LR shop that was able to do the job within a few hours. He is a lot cheaper than the stealer .... and located about a mile from my office.

He is located in Brampton Ontario, Canada ... close to Toronto. Disco Tech 4x4. www.discotech4x4.com (905) 792-0033. He saved me hundreds ... and there is no way I am ever going back to the stealer in Thornhill!! They dropped me off at my office and picked me up when it was ready. Cost was $749 CDN ....:frown: ... stealer was $1200 CDN ....

There was other issues with the pump as well. Started to groan real loud.

Last edited:

gosia101

Reaction score
Power steering issues

My brand new LR 2 2013 is a month old with about 250km on it. The power steering has broken down twice and been repaired twice. It stopped working again this weekend. My dealership, in the Toronto area, swears they have never before seen this problem. They are telling me they likely can't fix it. Could you folks weigh in on this? The plea of ignorance from the dealership seems odd to me seeing how an internet search shows power steering failure to be quite common.

I am so frustrated I will likely just give the LR back and buy something else.

I'm waiting for a tow truck as I am writing this.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635