Premium Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtennis27

Reaction score
I am getting a '02 Disco II and know that premium gas is required. What I want to know is what will happen if I do not use premium gas. Can it hurt the engine, or will it just not run as smoothly?

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should run fine occassionally on lower grade gas, typical long term side effects could be but not necessarily eventual carbon build up that could clog injectors, foul things up electronically (sensors), things like that, it wont blow up or anything :) There is another recent post last couple days on this topic.....

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run midgrade with 10 ethanol often and have not had any problems (90 grade). I also run injector cleaner through occasionally, but I also have 90K miles

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother used to have a sales client who worked in the oil business, and he said the reg and plus are the same octane level as the premium. They do this to avoid having lower octane gas accidently dropped into their premium tanks, which would result in a massive federal fine. Anybody else heard this? Maybe I'll google it to see if there's any truth to it.

M

MightyMax

I've been looking all over the internet today to figure this out and reviews are VERY mixed. Some people say use regular and run a cleaner through every 20,000 miles where others say high octane fuel is the best way to keep your engine from pinging.

I am just not sure if i can afford to keep putting premium in my Disco I. An average fill is about $100 (can) and the way this thing eats gas and the amount i drive i'm usually filling once a week :(

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at it this way...people run rovers in south america and mexico and I really doubt your going to find a lot of premium pumps south of the border at least not in central and south america (I haven't seen many in Mexico)...the rover will be fine one way or another...just maintain it and if you run crappy gas, realize that you may wear things more.... What I can tell you with a reasonable amount of certainty....using midgrade gas is definitely not as ******* your rover as just a few hours of moderate off roading nothing tears up a vehicle faster than that, loosens up electrical, clogs filters, injectors, messes up steering, suspension, etc. and most of us do that, so a little less octane isnt going to make your rover vomit.

P

parthog

Premium fuel typically has better additives, will keep injectors cleaner.
Premium fuel also has a higher octane (not more energy however), which will allow your engine to run more efficiently as it can advance the spark more without detonation. This should translate to better mileage and more power.

My experience is that my HWY fuel mileage drops 1-2mpg from premium BP/Amoco to generic midgrade. Whether that is typical I don't know. I haven't noticed any difference in power, but my butt-dyno isn't that sensitive.

With all of the complaints I see about power and fuel mileage, I'd expect people here to be looking for higher octane ;~)

- Jeff

C

capthook

mrtennis27 said:
I am getting a '02 Disco II and know that premium gas is required. What I want to know is what will happen if I do not use premium gas. Can it hurt the engine, or will it just not run as smoothly?

Just a note from California... it's upwards of $2.45 per gallon / premium here, and killin' the cash like wildfire. I've found the Techron gases (chev) mid-grade level is just as good and the Landie runs fine on it. However, if i'm at any other station - I go with premium.

Another interesting point, see

http://www.bootsnall.org/datw/archives/cat_thailand_journals.shtml

http://www.drivearoundtheworld.com

Check out the journals, these guys drove around the world with their Disco's - and at one point in Cambodia they had to buy gasoline from vendors (in the middle of who'sville mind you) who sold it to them in John Walker Red bottles. Some of it was even a yellow color - the result, a bad Cat-converter

Quote:

"Gas stations in Cambodia consist of no more than a little stand with pre-measured Johnny Walker Red bottles of fuel manned by Cambodian families. We believe the bright-yellow litres of fuel we purchased at one stand might be responsible for Vehicle D2's burnt-up catalytic converter!"

B

blitzkreig

I have found in my other vehicles that if you use 87 octane the anti-knock adjusts the timing to accomodate but you end up just drinking the 87 faster. So you don't even save a nickel ...

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the manual for my 96 says to use 90 octane. Where I live, most stations offer 87, 89 and 93. Some have 91. Does octane "mix"? For example, if I got a half tank of 89 and a half of 91, would I average out to 90? or does it not work that way..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99