ProSpeed slider install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My somewhat educated guess is about 100 to 150 lbs more. The sliders from Tactical are about 220 lbs (for the pair) IIRC, and they feel heavier than that when you try to install them by yourself, which can be done with patience and a floor jack, but is not an easy job. Then there's the fuel plate, another 60 or so... It's like driving around with a fat guy in the passenger seat, 24/7. At least the extra weight is down low. But you definitely feel it. I actually drop the fuel tank slider on the floor of my garage when I don't plan on off-roading for a few weeks / months. But it's a PITA to bolt it back on.

I agree completely! I am so used to it and I don't drive fast or use my LR4 as a daily driver. I really noticed it when I drove a stock LR4 and it felt so much more peppy and nimble. I also dropped the fuel tank skid when not offroading once in a while, but it became such a pain that I now just leave it on all the time. I do need to drop the sliders and skid plates in the spring and give them a good paint job. Now that my LR4 is in a "they salt when it snows" climate, I need to be more diligent.

Perseus

Reaction score
Weight is everything. Impact protection is more likely needed at the perimeter of a truck like when a tire slips off a rock or due to limited approach or departure angles. Steel is the better choice. However, for sliding or scraping for pure under body protection, I think aluminum would be a more suitable choice, especially when having to remove and reinstall frequently due to servicing, i.e. oil changes.

djkronik57

Reaction score
Forgive the off topic question, but what are those bright aluminum looking hollow boxes attached to the frame rail in the underside pics?

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Perseus Thanks for posting that underside pic with your Voyager slider and compressor cover.

I'm planning on going with the Voyager setup as well, and weight is one of my concerns. On the technical trails I intend to tackle, just being aware of where the compressor is located is enough protection for me, personally. Plus, a guy at my indy Rover shop told me that he's mangled the compressor cover on his LR3 and seen many that are beat up at his shop, with no damage to the compressor at all.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive the off topic question, but what are those bright aluminum looking hollow boxes attached to the frame rail in the underside pics?

That's what is left of the mandatory 2015+ side steps / side impact protection after the owner has removed them against Land Rover's better judgment... :) Those aluminum blocks are supposed to crumple / collapse in case of a side collision to mitigate the effects of the impact. I guess they could be removed as well if one really wanted to, but since they are aluminum they probably weigh very little and don't really affect anything by staying where they are.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous that you have a local Rover accessory shop. The only Rover guys around here only want to work on the analog type. They won't touch a new rig for all the tea in China. I've literally tried to hand them money to do simple **** like this (time / value equation rarely makes sense for me to do it myself) but they refuse.

My LR shop refuses to fit anything unless its sold by them. I have purchased authentic OEM parts online and asked them to fit, but they refuse. They claim they get fake OEM parts from customers and do not want to be liable for anything. I am sure it has little to do with counterfeit and everything to do with their greed.

Pretty annoying!

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what is left of the mandatory 2015+ side steps / side impact protection after the owner has removed them against Land Rover's better judgment... :) Those aluminum blocks are supposed to crumple / collapse in case of a side collision to mitigate the effects of the impact. I guess they could be removed as well if one really wanted to, but since they are aluminum they probably weigh very little and don't really affect anything by staying where they are.

Exactly.

Just an FYI, ProSpeed has aluminum skid plates in the works that will bolt to the sliders. They have not been released yet but will be soon according to Ben.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR shop refuses to fit anything unless its sold by them. I have purchased authentic OEM parts online and asked them to fit, but they refuse. They claim they get fake OEM parts from customers and do not want to be liable for anything. I am sure it has little to do with counterfeit and everything to do with their greed.

Pretty annoying!

My LR dealer charges a 25% surcharge on their labor rate (the base rate is probably up to $130/hr by now) if you bring in your own parts. They do, however, tend to match any delivered pricing that can be presented to them without penalty on the labor. They will only install OEM parts and would only offer to intall the original OEM tires when I needed new ones a few years ago. They would not price any other options.....

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much more do the T4X4 sliders weigh than the others?

You can ask how much more they weigh or how much more damage and $$$ it would be if you did not have tactical 4x4 sliders. In my case I wanted the best protection available due to trails I take my LR4 on. It costs less in extra fuel then being stranded on a trail due to a damage. Think a compressor and air tank which have no protection from the factory. The plastic compressor cover is a joke.
The sliders saved me few times especially when I was just starting off-roading in 2013 and made some mistakes. Now I am more careful and feel more confident on more challenging trails but I still use them. On the last trail I used them for rock sliding as designed.
I have full skid plate set-up from tactical rovers on my 2013 LR4. Yes , the set up is heavy but you trade something for something else. The same is with all terrain bigger tires. I had to put on stock wheels / tires , for few days, recently and LR4 felt much lighter. ( even with all skid plates) My LR4 is a daily driver. It still accelerate faster then other cars on the road. It is a truck so I am not concerned about slightly slower acceleration.
I attached 3 pictures of my sliders. You will see the difference.
Just get the level of protection you need.

IMG_20130607_172449.jpg

IMG_20130607_172458.jpg

CIMG1075.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM