ProSpeed slider install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perseus

Reaction score
T4x4 sliders are the kit for protecting the air compressor. I may have to rethink my approach in that regard.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can ask how much more they weigh or how much more damage and $$$ it would be if you did not have tactical 4x4 sliders. In my case I wanted the best protection available due to trails I take my LR4 on. It costs less in extra fuel then being stranded on a trail due to a damage. Think a compressor and air tank which have no protection from the factory. The plastic compressor cover is a joke.
The sliders saved me few times especially when I was just starting off-roading in 2013 and made some mistakes. Now I am more careful and feel more confident on more challenging trails but I still use them. On the last trail I used them for rock sliding as designed.
I have full skid plate set-up from tactical rovers on my 2013 LR4. Yes , the set up is heavy but you trade something for something else. The same is with all terrain bigger tires. I had to put on stock wheels / tires , for few days, recently and LR4 felt much lighter. ( even with all skid plates) My LR4 is a daily driver. It still accelerate faster then other cars on the road. It is a truck so I am not concerned about slightly slower acceleration.
I attached 3 pictures of my sliders. You will see the difference.
Just get the level of protection you need.
To be fair, the extra weight affects much more than just fuel economy and acceleration. The life of wheel bearings, bushings, air struts, etc. are diminished to some degree. So it all comes to whether the extra weight protecting the compressor is worth extra wear and tear on many items ($$$).

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can ask how much more they weigh or how much more damage and $$$ it would be if you did not have tactical 4x4 sliders.

I don't get how asking how much more they weigh has anything to do with questioning whether they are necessary.

Besides, it's not either/or. You can get compressor skid plates from other places; they just aren't integrated into the sliders.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet baby Jebsus. I had no desire to turn this into a ******* match. Everyone chooses their paths for different reasons or perceptions. There is no right or wrong here. Just wanted to share my experience with my choice. End. Of. Story.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet baby Jebsus. I had no desire to turn this into a ******* match. Everyone chooses their paths for different reasons or perceptions. There is no right or wrong here. Just wanted to share my experience with my choice. End. Of. Story.

?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, the extra weight affects much more than just fuel economy and acceleration. The life of wheel bearings, bushings, air struts, etc. are diminished to some degree. So it all comes to whether the extra weight protecting the compressor is worth extra wear and tear on many items ($$$).
I think, it depends. It someone doesn't take LR4 over the rocks, boulders and drives in terrain where damage to air tank and compressor is unlikely then there in no point putting on this heavy armor.
I can only speak for myself and in my case it was worth it. The trails I go on have rocks, boulders and occasionally I will hear my sliders scraping over the rocks.
Sometimes there will be a slight impact.
I figured out that this will still be cheaper then fixing a potential damage.
BTW most LR4s and LR3s in my club have T4x4 underbody protection.
If people think they may need this protection then it is worth to carry this extra weight If not then they can enjoy a lighter truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM