"Range Change Not Available" Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread has been around before but, I think I have a unique situation. I have been getting the "range change not available fault" and others (Reduced traction, Apply Parking Brake, Special programs not available, HDC not available) for about three months and it's not the battery. I already changed that, twice. Here goes an explanation of what I'm seeing

First, if I only drive frequent short trips (to work every day, less than two miles) nothing MORE, every thing is fine. Extend the drive to about 5 or six miles and the "RANGE CHANGE NOT AVAILABLE" fault lights up. Stop, restart, light comes right back on. Park overnight, light is off in the morning. Drive more than about 15 minutes, light back on.

Second, if it sits more than three days without starting, all of the waring lights come on just like they do when you need a new battery. If I disconnect the battery and hold the cables together, I can clear most of the faults and the others will go away with about 20 minutes of driving and three or four more start cycles. Except of course the Range Change Not Available because now we fall back under the first situation

Here is what isn't wrong. The alternator puts out 14.2 volts at start up and then settles in at about 13.6. In sleep mode the computer draws .0016 volts (or something like that???) , not enough to make a battery go dead in three days Like I said, I put in two new batteries thinking that the first was faulty. I put in the second before I did the draw down test.

To make this a real Land Rover brain teaser, all of the systems work (until the faults occur). I can change range, raise and lower suspension, and switch to special programs. Because everything "can" work, I doubt I have a wiring problem. The Range Change issue seems to be heat related so my first thought was that it could be the range change position sensor but, that doesn't explain the problems that occur when the vehicle sits. That leads me to think I might have a bad Integrated Transfer Box Control Module. I saw in the workshop manual that that module is always powered so maybe it's become overly sensitive to voltage drops. Does anyone else have any ideas??? I'd like to go to the dealer with some idea as to what it could be. I know that new transfer box modules need to be calibrated after installation so this will likely end up being a dealer repair in the end.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get access to a fault mate, that'd really help.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you gotta make sure you put the right battery in it. the charging rate seems fine. does your lr3 have a locking diff?

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have locking diff (heavy duty package). Is there any way to see if that is working? Keep in mind that of the array of faults I've gotten, I've never had one referring to the rear diff.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reason i ask is because when driving if the tranny fault comes on and range change unavailable comes on as well the locking motor had excessive drag and would cause the faults to come on. but it can also be fluid contamination at your shifter

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Because it seems to be related to operating temperature, I thought it might be a tranny fluid problem. I changed the transfer case fluid about 15,000 miles ago but I plan on checking the level and taking a sample tomorrow.

I printed the 4x4 diagnostic section from the shop manual and I bought a code reader. I'll read the codes in the morning after it's sat overnight. Reading the manual, I'm inclined to think I have a bad control module. The only common ailment for range change and voltage faults is a bad control module. I'll follow up tomorrow.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Because it seems to be related to operating temperature, I thought it might be a tranny fluid problem. I changed the transfer case fluid about 15,000 miles ago but I plan on checking the level and taking a sample tomorrow.

I printed the 4x4 diagnostic section from the shop manual and I bought a code reader. I'll read the codes in the morning after it's sat overnight. Reading the manual, I'm inclined to think I have a bad control module. The only common ailment for range change and voltage faults is a bad control module. I'll follow up tomorrow.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code reader says P0562 - low system voltage. I have already changed the battery, twice, and ran an extra ground wire to the engine. Next, I guess I should add another ground wire to the body and check for continuity at the ground connector for the control box.

Any other ideas?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the alternator tested? - these are known to fail on the LR3 at times as well.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the code reader to check the alternator voltage. It stays around 13.55 to 13.62 and will drop to about 13.42 when I apply the e-brake. The code reader has the ability to store live data related to a new code so I'm going to try driving around with the reader on live capture mode and see if there is actually a voltage drop when the fault occurs. I also brought home some wire from my boat to run more ground wires. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM