Really Overheating now. But not consistently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Ok, so I drove about 25 mins today to meet someone and on my way back My Disco II ['99 105k] started running hot. I pulled off the road and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Pulled out and went about another 2 miles and the light came on again. Filled up the coolant reservoir with water anddrove the 20 miles back home. The light never came on again but the temp did fluctuate from the 1/2 way mark [regular temp line] to the 3/4 line [running hot, but not pegged out].

I have checked the hoses, am not leaking coolant from anywhere [radiator, coolant bottle, hose]. I was not running the heat. I was driving a consistent 55-60 miles.

The only thing that comes to the top of my head is a thermostat. If any of you guys have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your time.

D

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deer hunter

You can change out the thermostat but since you just hit a deer and there was some damage, and your adding coolant, I’d check and see if there is a leak in the system. You probably need to get a hold of a radiator pressure tester and see where the leak is. If the radiator system isn’t closed, (it leaks), it lowers the boiling point of coolant. This system will not function properly with the slightest leak, and would run hot, and the heads will suffer the most.
I’d place odds the deer did a little more damage than perceived.

Pressure check the system and let us know....... good luck
Chongo............................:bandit:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Chongo.... have the radiator pressure tested.

qadhafi

Reaction score
I can do that, The brush guard is the big Safarigard bumper with the slider under the radiator. The washer fluid reservoir was the only thing I could see that was damaged initially. I will check again though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635