Rear Axle gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

I just got through replacing rotors and calipers on my 95 D1 while i was reinstalling the axle shaft i noticed there should be a gasket in between. How important is this gasket, b/c when i pulled it off it appeared to be just a piece of very thin plastic.
they have them for sale in british atlantic for .95 cents for one, Should it be replaced????????? :albertein

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is important-ish.

It is made of thin paper-like material, but you can cheat and use permatex gasket maker with same result.s. Me like high-temp ones, seeing that hub can heat pretty seriously.

L

LandyLight

Is that gasket there essentially to keep the grease from spewging out from the wheel bearings cause thats all i can see it good for OR does allow the axle and shaft to be easily sepaerated after being or getting hot after hard use. :albertein

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All above and:
- prevents elements to get into the hub easy
- prevents oil leaking away if your seals becoming bad
- prevents grease from leaking away, as it does when things getting hot

While you at it - repack bearings with good grease btw. Not crappy black generic one.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the name, but there is a marine-grade grease that works really well for that too...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose said:
Can't remember the name, but there is a marine-grade grease that works really well for that too...

Marine grease smokes, stinks and evaporates when things heating up.. I hate it. May be i was not that lucky, but i wont touch that stuff ever again (after having me Disco smoke like train)

B&G and Lucas both got very good high temp greases that got pretty impressive wash-out characteristics..

L

LandyLight

Already repacked the bearings with a red hi-temp grease no cheap stuff i think it was Penzoil hi temp wheel bearing grease.
Thanks guys for the input :hello:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72