Reg vs Premium fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I've run about 250,000 miles in Land Rovers with regular fuel and no problems. Any time I read one of these threads I feel guilty and run premium for a month or two. Have never noticed any difference in either performance or fuel economy. Although admittedly, I drive quite grandmotherly, lol. But there is no doubt $5 per tankful is cheap insurance for those concerned.

Millerman

Reaction score
I can't believe that when the manufacturor of a vehicle says use Premium only, someone has to ask any way.

I guess I don't always beleive what a manufaturor suggests. I've been told many times by dealers I need certain things that I know for fact I did not. Just trying to get some insight on my truck and if it bothers you so much don't read the post.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran regular on every vehicle I have owned even when it has been recommended premium, besides what vehicle now adays doesn't recommend premium? Once a month I will fill with premium and normally add a octane booster every other fillup.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The premium fuel is often recommended for different reasons for different vehicles. Engines with forced air induction, often require it to prevent detonation and engine damage. Others are 'required' to get a higher published HP rating. This is a deisn trade off often made by marketing folks to be more competitive in HP ratings, 0-60, towing, etc in segments where the believe the user base will be tolerant to premium fillups. Like stated by others, the LR3 does not actually "require premium" to run...just to run optimally.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used regular for a while a few years ago when gas prices were through the roof. It seemed like the gas mileage I was getting was slightly lower than what I was getting when using premium. After a few months I switched back to premium figuring that whatever benefit I was getting by paying less at the pump was being negated by the reduced gas mileage.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(You will push the go pedal longer and harder to get the same performance you are used to. . .

That's funny. As if I could imagine having to push any harder when on slight false flat type grades it drops into 5th for sure and 4th almost all the time unless I'm slowing down.

It could be all the weight on mine but the lr3 transmission sucks no matter how you drive.

I wouldn't complain but 13-14 mpg at best highway speeds is pretty crappy considering the old discos I have get the same mpg or better.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this on other threads, but I'm in Utah at about 4,551' elevation. The Land Rover dealership here told me when I was shopping told me that mid-grade (89 octane) would be just great at this elevation but that I would probably see performance decreases if I was somewhere with a lower elevation.

I use midgrade and get about 21 mpg on the freeway. I should try a tank of premium and see if I notice any difference.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11.9 - it does better the slower it's going. i can get 15 if never over 55 mph and no hills, or head wind.

you can imagine the mpg when i drove from Moab to SLC on that direct route, hwy 6 i think, at 100 mph to make it to the airport in slc to pick up my girl after riding the slickrock trail that day.

Needless to say, our Audi v8 does much better under any highway conditions or speeds.

Wish we would get the tdi LR3/4 :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4