Removing Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to remove the panhard rod bushings without using an hydraulic press (which I don't have)? I replaced all of the front tie rod ends and was getting started on the bushings when I realized that you can't hammer these babies out.

Thanks for the help.

D

discoinjapan

With alot of cursing and swearing. And a couple of bloody knuckles.
If you can at all find a press, but if you cant like me
Find a socket ( with an extension )the same size as the inner sleave and put the rod over a vice and get a mallet and start hitting. Just be careful that you keep pounding "STRAIGHT DOWN" so you dont get it stuck. Also a little bit of penetrating oil helps, be careful not to splash it in your eyes while your hitting. Dont worry about messing up the old bush, just get it out without messing up the inner surface of the panhard.
Good luck
When you finally get it out check the inner surface of the panhard, if you do have any small scratches or burs either file or crokus cloth them down a "little". Insert the new bush carefully. geting it started (and keeping it)straight is critical. Inserting the bush I used a smaller hammer with kind of like a constant tapping.
Again good luck

D

discoinjapan

Patrick,
I was just thinking you could just take your pan hard rod to a garage or shop with a press and ask them to do just the bushings for a small fee. I dont think it would cost too much.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was going to do if I had to. Thanks,

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo