Roof rack 2014 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj22

Reaction score
So, while I do like the Rover factory rails, the price was a bit off-putting, and I have assorted bars and add-ons for Thule/Yakima so wanted to try to re-use those.
Since I couldn't find much info about aftermarket racks, and in fact, a few dealers incorrectly told me it was impossible to add aftermarket racks, I thought I'd contribute my little bit of knowledge.
Well, as you can see(if you have really good eyesight) from my picture in the introduction forum, Yakima definitely works. I popped off a couple of those plastic caps holding the plastic track cover on the roof to fine the mounting points for rails. The right parts are the Yakima landing pad #11 and the Yakima control tower. The only issue is that you have to space the bars either 24 or 48 inches apart(roughly). 48 is pretty far, a lot of accessories don't fit that spread. At 24" I pretty comfortably put on a a box (Skybox pro 16s) and a couple of bicycle holders, on 58" bars. You could probably go 66" if you need the space, but I think the 58" look right.

So, for several hundred dollars less, I have a pretty good solution for the 2014 LR4. Hope this helps someone.

-AJ

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you do like I did and search eBay and Craigslist for a set of LR3 take-off short rails and mount your bars to those. Total for a set of OEM Roof Rails, hardware and some paint was about $120 vs the $350 LR wants for them new.

I used the 3112 Fit Kit from Thule with my Large AeroBlade bars everything works like a charm. Didn't even notice a difference in fuel economy.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you do like I did and search eBay and Craigslist for a set of LR3 take-off short rails and mount your bars to those. Total for a set of OEM Roof Rails, hardware and some paint was about $120 vs the $350 LR wants for them new.

I used the 3112 Fit Kit from Thule with my Large AeroBlade bars everything works like a charm. Didn't even notice a difference in fuel economy.

Glad to hear you like the AeroBlades! I went the OEM rail/dealer install route as my lead service guy had been very helpful to me during the evaluation/decision process on the LR4. So I wanted to give him some business and although it probably would never matter the parts he installed (rails and ladder) are covered under the warranty. Plus he found a fixed an annoying rattle in the back that would occur on washboarded roads. And he gave the truck a decent detail. Not cheap but I want to have a good relationship with the guy going forward.

I will install the AeroBlades later today or tomorrow. Then I'll put my Yakima basket (yes, I know that is heresy to mix brands) on the Aeroblades. And this weekend I'll install the pulley/lift system in the rafters of my garage so I can left the whole setup, with gear, off the truck and store it there.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the discussion I've been mulling over roof racks too for my upcoming LR4.

Ideally I'd like an extended Baja rack, but realistically I need something simpler. Was reading this thread and finlay brought up a good point that a rack not using the crossbars (ex. mounted into roof rack slots) will be a pita to take on and off and limit enjoyable sun roof visibility.
Two things I want to have flexibility with.

I think I'm down to a couple options:
1) Get cross rails with a Rola or Thule basket.
Would actually like a nice flat rack but so far haven't found one that can mount to cross rails.

2) Bite the bullet and get a Baja rack or OEM rack.
I'd actually like the ladder too which I imagine would look odd paired with anything but a full rack.

aj22

Reaction score
Since we're on the discussion I've been mulling over roof racks too for my upcoming LR4.

Ideally I'd like an extended Baja rack, but realistically I need something simpler. Was reading this thread and finlay brought up a good point that a rack not using the crossbars (ex. mounted into roof rack slots) will be a pita to take on and off and limit enjoyable sun roof visibility.
Two things I want to have flexibility with.

The Yakima bars are very easy to take off, if you leave the landing pads on. They're pretty low profile. It's literally a 30 second snap-on snap-off job.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the Yakima cross bars extend beyond roof rails?
I prefer the clean look where the cross bar isn't protruding past the roof rails and have usually had to go OEM to get that.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So I just tried to use a 3112 Fit Kit with my new extended rails. Either the fit kit don't fit or I don't know what the trick is to get those little pieces of metal down inside the rails. I assume that the pieces of metal need to go longwise into the gap in the slot on top of the rail. But I can't get it in that way. I can turn it so that the short slide goes in but that doesn't seem secure nor does it seem to match the directions. Any guesses as to what I am doing wrong? Is the slot on the top of the 2014 extended factory rails a different width?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just tried to use a 3112 Fit Kit with my new extended rails. Either the fit kit don't fit or I don't know what the trick is to get those little pieces of metal down inside the rails. I assume that the pieces of metal need to go longwise into the gap in the slot on top of the rail. But I can't get it in that way. I can turn it so that the short slide goes in but that doesn't seem secure nor does it seem to match the directions. Any guesses as to what I am doing wrong? Is the slot on the top of the 2014 extended factory rails a different width?

Did your fit kit come with two different sized plates to slide into the rails?

Nothing has ever changed with the rails.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your fit kit come with two different sized plates to slide into the rails?

Nothing has ever changed with the rails.

Good question. I read the thread from back in 2011 about them supplying two sets of anchors (B and C). But I only have one set of plates and none of them have markings. Argh.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it. I was looking at the Hummer directions, not the LR4 directions. Stupid. According to the directions I need to turn them sideways. It doesn't seem like they are as snug a fit but I guess it will look better when they are locked down. Back to the garage... And sorry for the silly question.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM