Roof rack 2014 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, while I do like the Rover factory rails, the price was a bit off-putting, and I have assorted bars and add-ons for Thule/Yakima so wanted to try to re-use those.
Since I couldn't find much info about aftermarket racks, and in fact, a few dealers incorrectly told me it was impossible to add aftermarket racks, I thought I'd contribute my little bit of knowledge.
Well, as you can see(if you have really good eyesight) from my picture in the introduction forum, Yakima definitely works. I popped off a couple of those plastic caps holding the plastic track cover on the roof to fine the mounting points for rails. The right parts are the Yakima landing pad #11 and the Yakima control tower. The only issue is that you have to space the bars either 24 or 48 inches apart(roughly). 48 is pretty far, a lot of accessories don't fit that spread. At 24" I pretty comfortably put on a a box (Skybox pro 16s) and a couple of bicycle holders, on 58" bars. You could probably go 66" if you need the space, but I think the 58" look right.

So, for several hundred dollars less, I have a pretty good solution for the 2014 LR4. Hope this helps someone.

-AJ

Please post additional pics to this thread... I like the idea! Thanks.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, that issue with the Thule 3112 fit kit has been going on for years. (see multiple LR3 forum discussions) I spoke with a Thule technician and they insist that having just one edge of the little metal anchor grab the inside of the roof rail track is fine.

I wasn't sure I could trust one anchor edge to hold thousands of dollars of bikes or ski equipment at fast speeds. I ended-up grinding down one short side of each anchor so that it fits snugly inside the roof rail track. If you have a bench grinder, it's pretty easy. Just hold the anchor with pliers or vise-grips since they get really hot. Then drop them in a small bucket of cold water before handling.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, that issue with the Thule 3112 fit kit has been going on for years. (see multiple LR3 forum discussions) I spoke with a Thule technician and they insist that having just one edge of the little metal anchor grab the inside of the roof rail track is fine.

I wasn't sure I could trust one anchor edge to hold thousands of dollars of bikes or ski equipment at fast speeds. I ended-up grinding down one short side of each anchor so that it fits snugly inside the roof rail track. If you have a bench grinder, it's pretty easy. Just hold the anchor with pliers or vise-grips since they get really hot. Then drop them in a small bucket of cold water before handling.

Thanks, Paul. It seems to work at this point. Part of the problem was that the paper instructions were for both an LR4 and a Hummer. For the Hummer you insert the anchor with the long side at a right angle to the rail. For the LR4 you insert the anchor with the anchor parallel to the rail. But the paper instructions in the box did not show this. The picture had the LR4 the same as the Hummer and I couldn't get it to work. Duh - because it doesn't fit that way. Fortunately I found a PDF of the instructions online and in the PDF the picture showing how to insert the anchor for an LR4 was different. (It was bad enough that you end up with 3 sets of instructions (bar, podium, footpad) that overlap and refer to each other and also include Hummer as well as the bars instructions showing that you should trim 10mm of the rubber insert which I did but that is only for the style where the bar stops at the podium rather than extending past as mine do. But then you do 99% of the instruction in pictures?)

Anyway, with my rack locked on tight and the 4 sets of anchors it should be pretty stable. We'll see what happens when I put some weight on it and go on a rough road. Our bikes ride on a hitch rack so the stuff I put up on top will mostly be camping stuff. Or this Summer carrying a stroller to Seattle for our new grandchild. :proud:

aj22

Reaction score
Please post additional pics to this thread... I like the idea! Thanks.

So, a little later than expected, apologies. And, I'm a terrible photographer, so wasn't sure what to show. So, one nice thing about the Yakima set up is that it takes literally a few seconds to take the rack off the vehicle, so here are a couple of pix of the feet that attach.
The pads(feet) are a single bolt attachment, you just pop off the plastic tabs that cover the bolts and bolt the foot on. you can see that foot isn't completely flush since the plastic rail cover isn't flush with the roof in the first place. I think you wouldn't notice this unless you're 6'6" or more.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 81

hilsmark

Reaction score
I have used my Thule Roof box in the past, no problem. Haven't used it for a few years so stored it (foolishly) locked. When I went to put onto roof, the bars were inside and slipped out of position. It appears that it can only be unlocked with them in position. How can I get in or do I just have to junk it? Any ideas?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635