Rotating full-size spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oddboy

Reaction score
When I bought new tires I planned on bringing the 5th full-size spare into rotation but I never got around to it. Since then I've put maybe 7 to 8 thousand miles on my tires, and I'm wondering if it's still safe to rotate my spare tire into the mix considering the wear difference.

Common knowledge seems to suggest rotating every 3 to 4 thousand miles, but I might be double that.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar question when I cut a sidewall and had to introduce a new tire into my mix. Some people freaked out about any miniscule difference in tread depth, but my trusted indy took a look and said no problem. I had a few more miles on my tires than what you described. This is all purely anecdotal, but I would say you're fine.

Reno LR

Reaction score
You can always shave a tire if you're worried that it's tread depth is out of sync with the others.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, same difference as if one tire is low on air, that's going to change the OD of the tire as well so a miniscule difference shouldn't matter.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
You're 100% fine with rotating in the 5th wheel. Luckily our trucks can adapt to the different tire od when the difference is miniscule. 1/16th of od tire tread won't hurt it.

You don't want to mix a 30" with 33"s all around.

Other trucks without active transfer cases will have big issues running different tire diameters, and will ultimately break transmissions and/or transfer cases.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72