Ruling out the possibilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After leaving my Landy in the drive way for 30 minutes . . . I came out to a shattered sunroof . . . .

I believe I know what caused this, but wanted to post to see if anyone else had experienced a gremlin similar to this . . .

Attachments

• Broken Sunroof.jpg
    Broken Sunroof.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 33

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, so what do you think caused it, just tell us.

tmcgraw

Reaction score
Wow, the glass on Land Rover's are pretty serious. I don't want to believe that any kind of temperatic condition caused this. Looks like fould play but it's missing an impact point from what I can tell in that image.

In Ohio, U.S.A., some others and I were just talking we've never seen one shatter like that, if there wasn't some sort of outside force involved, especially just sitting. We have temperatures here ranging from -15 degree winters to 110+ degree summers

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a gremlin jump on it? I thought maybe you were giving us a hint....
I don't think this would do it, but my guess will be it's really really REALLY hot and the sprinklers came on?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, mine did the exact same thing, looked the same way, and oddly, under the same circumstances. At lunch, went in to a store and came out about 20min later to a perfectly shattered sunroof. This is in TX. Long story short, at first the LR dealership said that they could not cover it under warranty when I call them. If figured as much. However, when I took my glass out and carefully brought it to them, they examined it closely.

After looking at it closely out of the truck, they said that they would cover it under warranty. If I recall, it would have been about $628 if they didn't cover it.

It is extremely easy to take the glass out yourself. Just a few screws. I put painters tape on it in some places to transport it. They swapped mine out no charge.

Look for any point of impact. If one is there, it will be obvious. Mine had none.

By the way, vandalism to a sunroof is not likely. Why would a vandal take the time to get up to the top of the LR3 and smash just the sunroof. Lots of other easier more exciting glass to break other than the roof.

tmcgraw

Reaction score
By the way, vandalism to a sunroof is not likely. Why would a vandal take the time to get up to the top of the LR3 and smash just the sunroof. Lots of other easier more exciting glass to break other than the roof.

From a dealer parts guy, it's actually pretty common. There is one piece of glass that IS NOT laminated on a Land Rover, at lot of people think it's the sunroof or the panaramic glass, and they're wrong. These things are surprisingly hard to break into, and only get harder as Land Rover goes on and on in developing.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in TX as well, so I know about the heat. I put high grade tinting on side windows and sun roofs. Generally I leave the sun roof cracked, perhaps that is why it hasn't shattered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM