Running/tailights and wipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mamesteco

Reaction score
1996 Discovery
I had posted before about my right side lights, tail lights and dash lights going out. Thought I had it fixed by replacing a couple of bad light sockets on my marker lights.
Then about a week later, all marker and tail lights went out. Took the advice of the forum and got a used switch for the lights, didn't change a thing.
I took a fused jumper wire and jumped it on the switch plug from power in, to the connection that feeds the running lights. All lights work now. I had a 10 amp fuse in it and it would blow when I turned the driving lights on. Replaced it with a 15 amp and everything works now.
Would it be a problem to leave it this way?
What else controls the marker lights, tail lights, driving lights and dash lights.
Headlights, signals, brake lights and red back up lights all work fine.

My intermittent wipers do not work. I have to shut them off when they are at the bottom or they stop in the middle of the windshield. Replaced switch with another used one and it made no change.
What else controls the intermittent part of my wipers?

What does the Multi-function unit control(MFU)?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First question, you still have a short somewhere, leaving it with a heavy fuse will eventually burn up some wires somewhere, and you will find your issue.

Intermittent wipers are also controlled by the wiper motor PITA to change, but maybe not as bad as the ABS shuttle valve.

mamesteco

Reaction score
If I have a short, wouldn't it blow a fuse in my fuse panel? I have none blown.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '97 D1 was randomly blowing my pass side marker & dash light fuse (8)?

I cleaned all sockets, checked for grounds, etc. for a month or so

after several fuses & a stern talking to it, I opened my glovebox one day & heard a pop - the plastic housing was broken allowing the light to short to the dash structure when I hit a bump just right.

I unplugged the light connector last year & hasn't blown the fuse since.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, forgot about the glove box light (this is normally the issue with fuse 8.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge