Service Engine Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

After the Seafoam thru the manifold job, and about 5 minutes of billowing plumes of smoke, my Service Engine Soon light is on... think it just got tagged during the few minutes of rough running before the Seafoam did its thing, but now its on for good.

Seems to run fine, better than ever. Is this the one you can reset thru the pinhole in the maintenance reminder relay in the passenger kick panel? does that apply for a 2001 D2? Thought I would ask b4 i go pulling panels :)

Its an amber light (not red), and doesn't blink.

Also, seems to idle a bit higher than normal until it warms up, is this normal after Seafoaming it?

thanks,
adam

Roverhound

Reaction score
Adam, to reset the light pull the negative lead off the battery for a few minutes. If the fault is not there anymore, it will go out.
I just ran seafoam through my 2000 d2 and had the light go on so I think it's normal. I reset with my computer, the fault wasn't even present anymore.
As far as runnig rough, I didn't have that problem. Mines running pretty smooth, although I did the seafoam more as a preventative thing and not really for any problems.
Maybe you have enough build up that you may want to run it through again?

A

ayavner

Thanks, i will try that. It is, in fact, running very smoothly, I think it was just that first few minutes after starting it up... think i might have let it sit too long after pouring it in. will the reset button work (behind the kick panel)? just wondering cuz i don't wanna have to reprogram all my presets and clock etc, but no biggie if not....

Cool Zappa reference...

Roverhound

Reaction score
Didn't realize you had a d1 so the reset may work. It's worth a try.
Yeah Zappa ruled. Ever tried getting all his works on cd? There's hundreds of titles. He did such a wide range of music you can't collect them all!

A

ayavner

No, its a D2.. just haven't been able to find out if this reset exists on the D2, and wanted to find out from the group b4 i start pulling panels. So.. no reset on the D2?

No, sure haven't tried that, i have a select handful that i really like, Joes Garage and apostrophe/overnight sensation being 2 of my fav's... oh, and sheik yerbouti...

Roverhound

Reaction score
Nope, no reset on the d2. Try the battery trick. It worked for me before I got the software on my lap top to reset it.

A

ayavner

yup, will do! errr... what software are you referring to? Is it the one Rovers North has for sale.. rovacom or something? i have a laptop, wouldn't mind being able to pull and reset codes. what do you recommend?

T

tcosson

I'd love to find some way to reset the codes without the dealer too.
My lights been on on my 99 DII for a while now. I had it checked last year and the dealer told me I needed an entire new exhaust/cats/o2 sensors...
I've since moved and just brought it in for a sticking throttle cable and these guys reset it and say I need a new MAF sensor. I told them what the last dealer said about the exhaust and they insist MAF... So I'll buy one and change it out, but man I hate to bring it back just to reset the codes....

A

ayavner

Update - apparently when i put the Seafoam in the fuel tank, i hadn't tightened it enough. Well this morning, i filled up, and made sure to give it a few clicks on the cap when tightening, and voila! the Service Engine Light was out.... DOH!

C

campbell

You can go to O'Reilly's or AutoZone and rent an ODB-II reader. This will allow you to read the codes that is causing your service enging light to be on. You can also reset the code to turn the ligth off. I was thinking about buying one of these, but haven't heard anything about them. Looks like a great product on paper.
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip_products.asp
The 75 hour model is around $100, while the 300 hour model is around $130.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo