SF Chronicle Article.....%$#@& Media

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pbrover

You know sometimes you just know

As we go through life we all have those moments when we look at something, see something, or hear something and you go.....well That is Just Not Right! I had one of those moments with this article! I can go in so many different directions with this article and for now I will choose this one.

Automotive Journalist Theory.....An Analogy
The Toyota Brand is much like the kid that can do nothing wrong. If that kid does something wrong, people say oh my can you believe that he did that. Then they quickly say but he is such a great kid and everybody very quickly forgets what he did wrong (i.e. the massive sludge problem they had with their V6 engines).

The Land Rover brand is much like the kid who can do nothing right. If he does some things right those same people recognize that this kid did somethings right but don't give him the credit that he is due, but continue only to recognize his "poor" behavior from the previous years, therefore quickly dismissing any good.

The LR3 2005 reliablity ratings on consumer reports were poor, but if you look at the LR3 2006 reliability ratings on consumer reports you will notice a huge difference.

Seems if you were reporting on this you should probably comment about that...right? But no, Land Rover is the "kid who can do nothing right.

Well Land Rover must be at the same point Jaguar was in the mid 90's (I think that is the correct time frame) with Automotive journalist or BMW in the early 80's. Both brands had very poor reliaiblity ratings, but after many years finally the automotive journalist world has put those two brands in the "kid that can do nothing wrong category". I truly believe that Land Rover and Ford are changing the Land Rover brand relability problem but perception is slow to follow. Unfortunately the automotive journalist don't want to chat about that possibility, but just keep piling on top of the "kid that can do nothing right".

Again, I am refering to the LR3/Range Rover sport platform. The 2005 LR3 which I do own had some 1st year growing pains but Land Rover did a great job in resolving those first year build issues. All brands will still have those damn lemon cars and the only thing I can say about that is damn. For example, a really good friend of mine just got rid of his 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser because it was in the shop all them time and then purchased the new Chevy Tahoe. His Land Cruiser was an obvious lemon type car.

Last edited by a moderator:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope more people write these articles, the more grocery gettin' rich chicks (or of course guys) he can scare away from buying my truck the better. I have no idea how this vehicle will be reliablility wise - I have 19k nearly problem free miles (cept the tires) - only time will tell. But I've had 4 LR's before and they all broke a lot and depreciated a lot and cost a fortune. As long as the press keeps it a secret why I keep coming back, I will be very very happy.
happy trails!

kosta

Reaction score
other than a couple of minor faults (faulty PDC sensor, squeeky wipers) - both replaced promptly and courteously by my dealer - i've had nothing but truly amazing driving experiences with my '06 HSE. the benefits (outlined nicely in a previous message on this thread) of all the fantastic features on this vehicle far outweigh a couple of minor faults in my opinion. and, to be safe i bought the 7 year full warranty, so i feel more secure. in the end, if articles like this scare some folks off, how cares? i enjoy some exclusivity!

X

xcursion

I would hate it if my truck is as common as Honda accords and minivans--takes all the fun out of seeing other LR3s in the rare occasions. And I dont care for what a newspaper reporter said about my truck. I simply love it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635