SF Chronicle Article.....%$#@& Media

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pbrover

The Link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/12/MTGCDM1BKV39.DTL

I am sitting down for lunch today and just wanted to vomit after reading this article. This truly makes me sick!

It really hit home again today, just how bad the "liberal media" distorts the core truths about subjects. This is the second time in about 3 yrs. that an article has been written about something where I am very familiar with the topic and the media writes an article and my mouth drops open in disbelief.

He states that the LR3 is.......a dismal failure in the world of relability..and when it's not climbing rocks, it may well be getting ready to be towed to the nearest Land Rover Dealer...." He even provides a web address to the this forum and of course the first thread is...problems with an LR3.

To me he inteviews the CR guy, reads the JD Power and Vehicle Dependability Study and comes to this forum and ****** reads the problem thread and concludes the LR3 is a damn Yugo...a dismal failure. Just amazing, I am going to send an e-mail to this guy..Michael Taylor...Chronicle Automotive editor. Anybody want to follow me or just sit on the sidelines? Who's with me?

dbregman

Reaction score
So did he even get behind the wheel?

Perhaps we need a new sticky topic - How awesome is the LR3.

P

pbrover

He probably only had time only to sit it. Do any of these "brilliant" automotive editors truly keep a car for a week and get to know a car before writing an article to hear themselves.

H

Houm_WA

So I just read the article.

Does anyone REALLY disagree with what he says? Maybe it just hurts to hear it from someone else? I love my LR3; it kicks ass offroad and I like the smooth ride on-road.

...but it has logged enough shop time to be qualified as a Lemon. It is indeed problem-prone. Who cares?

Let the people who want a boring SUV that never has issues buy something else. Me, I'll take high performance with a little higher maintenance.

S

schafari

Actually, I have had more problems and poorer service on my new 05 Honda Odyssey than I have had on my LR3. Frankly, for the first year of the vehicle, and such a large re-design, I am quite pleased.

I think once you spend some time in the LR3, and become accustomed to all the things it does right, it will be hard to go back. I also think you have to use the LR3 for how it is designed. Not just off-road at all, but simply. . .outdoors and not wear it like a fashion accessory.

Ever have a nice beverage on the built in patio bench (tailgate) with the built in shade (liftgate) on a rainy or even a hot sunny day? It is perfect. Notice how your arm rests perfectly on the perch by the door after a long day paddling a kayak. . . Notice how the sunroof can be left open at night, but has a built in bug screen? Ever notice how the floor is so flat that two people can sleep in it comfortably for a night or two? Not to mention look at the stars through the glass roof. . . Ever notice that the thing can swallow a weeks worth of camping gear with room to spare? Isn't it great that it can tow a trailer and automatically levle the truck wiht the air springs. . . How about how it warms the buns of both the front and back seat passengers on a cold camping morning? Ever enjoy the heated windshield while easily scraping ice off of it? Ever climb in back and do some work or eat some lunch on the table, oops I mean folded down middle seat. Or isn't it great that it has room across the second row for three car seats so you can take your kids fishing, and still keep the third row down for gear? Isn't the storage great on each door to tuck in needed things while camping, hiking, fishing, etc., and have a truck full of people. . . Did I mention that is can easily tow 7K lbs, and because it is such a solid/heavy truck, that it does it with aplomb. Oh, gee, I totally forgot. . . Did you notice it can take your kids back to a secret fishing spot where few others can get to, and do it without worrying you that you might not make it back. . .

Shoot, now I just want to go out and drive and enjoy it. . .

P

pbrover

Way to much Hyperbole. Even Lexus and Toytoa have issues like you Houm. Hell, what about there V6 sludge issue that garnered national news. I do agree that the LR3 has had "first year" run issues more than average. Journalist in general from my perpective, love the "shock and awe" approach. Damn Drama Queens! If he really would have done his research ,he would have picked-up on the passion exhibited by the LR3 drivers in this forum; but was that include! If you were unfamiliar with this vehicle and read this article then you would have come to the hyperbole conclusion that this car is no more dependable than a damn Yugo...I mean come on! If one were to generalize that a section of LR3 owners are gear heads, what would you generalize about automotive journalist......Car sissies! I remember an Edmunds journalist just went on about a broken glove compartment latch and came to the conclusion that this high end vehicle was not up to par. So I don't think automotive journalist are sisses but eternal pessimists/glass half full type people.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Houm_WA

Fair enough, pbrover....but I don't understand why it bothers you so much? You and I know that the LR3 is great. We don't need some schmuck journalist whom we've never met (and never will, hopefully) to validate our decision or our feelings about the truck. F@#$k him and his opinion. If his article causes fewer people to run out and buy an LR3...GOOD! Frankly I like the uniqueness and hate seeing other LR3's on the road.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you link the bad article to the "liberal media"? You'd of had a nice post if you didn't try so hard to drag your politics into it. This is a car forum.

P

pemarsh

Face it...the LR3 has many problems. I am sure JD powers and Consumer reports can not be both wrong. They are not saying that vehicle is not great--rather that the reliability is an issue you will need to deal with compared to other suv's.

I thought the article was actually well done, and rather flattering.

Anybody who knows land rover knows that reliabiltiy is not their strong suit. Arguing with that is just silly. But, I believe they make some of the most awesome SUV's on the market.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM