'shakes' from 2nd to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 DISCO HSE7 60K
changed the tranny fluid with "Castro DEX/MERC DOMESTIC MULTI-VEHICLE" ATF. when accelerate from complete stop. the whole rig shakes at about 25 - 30 miles (about 2nd - 3rd gear?) then its all smooth again. any clues? :confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
U-joint is about to come apart?

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tnx, joey. however, how would i know if the u-joint is in good shape or not? i did turn the drive shafts a bit while it was on the jacks, didn't feel anything was loose. visually, there's no cracks and such....
in addition, it only happens from 2nd to 3rd upshifting. slowing down was fine.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Factory U-joints at 60k they are about to come apart when they do they may cost you a transmission. Might want to replace them.

chris02disco

Reaction score
tnx, joey. however, how would i know if the u-joint is in good shape or not? i did turn the drive shafts a bit while it was on the jacks, didn't feel anything was loose. visually, there's no cracks and such....
in addition, it only happens from 2nd to 3rd upshifting. slowing down was fine.

It doesnt matter whether it looks good are not. Mine looked good and felt tight, but was starting to go at 66k.Not until I got it out could i tell that the ends were oblong. If it hasnt been rebuilt it will need to be. Sooner is better than after it breaks and takes tranny with it. Do a search to see if you think it is something you could do youself.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you guys. i am researching and see who can do the job right for me. i am in Pasadena, Ca. Any recommendations?

chris02disco

Reaction score
thank you guys. i am researching and see who can do the job right for me. i am in Pasadena, Ca. Any recommendations?

Sorry, not from around there, but you might want to stay away from any dealerships.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED. it was the transmission fluid. i was about a quart short since i didn't have the right procedure. thank you all. happy july 4th.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4