Should I switch to synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about to have the first oil change done post-warranty (52K miles). I'm just wondering if I should use synthetic oil instead of conventional. Any thoughts? I've always used sythetic in the past, but that's because the vehicles I had previously required synthetic.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will be difinetely switching to full synthetic as soon as warranty is out. i was once a huge promoter of royal purple and amsoil. i fully believe in the hype and have seen numerous dyno claims to back it up. not sure about the specs on the trans and diff's, but they were the first to be swapped over. my dealer will run synthetic but at my cost of course. i highly recommend it. i was surprised to see that jaguar used conventional oil to start with.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised too - and I will also switch to synthetic when the free maintanence is up (we are changing it at 3750 mile intervals right now to make up for it - I can't imagine running 7500 on traditional oil).

-Rich

Last edited:

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to run my tahoe 6000 miles on amsoil between changes. i sent out a test sample of my oil actually one time after 8000 miles and the test came back 93% life. meaning the oil degraded only 7% over 8000 miles. the amsoil rep was using my vehicle as a test to prove the worth of his oil. they use hastings filters which are synthetic filters the standard anit-drainback valve. this time around i will be using royal purple in everything that can be changed and a K&N oil filter.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, you guys confirmed my plans. I'll be switching to synthetic today.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference... for a 8000 mile run, stock non-synth oil (as supplied by dealer, under the free service program) tested at 86%. OEM oil filter.

Free free to use synthetic, especially if you abuse your vehicle with short trips... it can't hurt, of course. :) But don't expect magic.

Last edited:

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just currious, how frequently do you guys change your oil? at scheduled service intervals or every 3 months or 3000 or so miles?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this conversation with the dealer several times, as well as the training rep for the service guys. They adamately say no synthetic. LR UK definitely does not recommend it. Not sure why, as the little Jag engine works pretty hard pushing that big LR3 around. Just passing on what I have heard.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just currious, how frequently do you guys change your oil? at scheduled service intervals or every 3 months or 3000 or so miles?

Every 3,750 miles. If I were to go 6 months or more between changes, I'd do one then even if I wasn't up to the 3,750 miles.

-Rich

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I switched over to full synthetic, and so far everything is fine (only about 200 miles now, though). I have no idea why any manufacturer would be against this, except in the break-in period. For break-in, synthetic is actually too "slippery" and doesn't let the cylinders set in correctly. But after that, synthetic is always considered far superior. I've always used it in all of my vehicles, with great results.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge