Side protection moldings!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just compare this pic with the pic of the LR4 in the compomotive wheel thread and you'll see the difference in isntallation.
I definitely see what you mean. It looks as though goblue's are in the "stock" location per the LR website. Up or down a few inches is probably fine, but installing them straight is the key. Hopefully my LR dealership can do it correctly.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this really protect against most door dings? seems like it depends too much on the height and shape of the door of the car next to you. would be nice if they required all manufacturers to put rubber strips on the door edges so you can't ding up other people's car. After all, this is really a public nuisance issue.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this really protect against most door dings? seems like it depends too much on the height and shape of the door of the car next to you. would be nice if they required all manufacturers to put rubber strips on the door edges so you can't ding up other people's car. After all, this is really a public nuisance issue.

I agree - I think all cars should have rubber bumpers too! I find it ironic, that, in the attempt to make modern cars look sleeker, manufacturers have taken virtually all protective items (like rubber) off of bumpers. Yet, when you look at most bumpers now, they look like crap since they are all dinged and scratched up. The auto body industry must love it though. My 1987 Mercedes is covered on all sides with rubber strips and bumpers, and it looks great!

To answer your question - the moldings definitely provide some added level of protection, although I'm sure it is not foolproof. I think it is most susceptible to damage from the doors of smaller cars that do not reach the height of the moldings, although putting the suspension into access height helps with that a bit.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just compare this pic with the pic of the LR4 in the compomotive wheel thread and you'll see the difference in isntallation.

That one is a good looking truck, but I think the moldings are a little high and upside down.

I prefer the location and orientation of GoBlue95's a little better, but I'm skeptical of how much protection they actually offer.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one is a good looking truck, but I think the moldings are a little high and upside down.

I prefer the location and orientation of GoBlue95's a little better, but I'm skeptical of how much protection they actually offer.

I agree! I think they are upside down! I noticed that also.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
does this really protect against most door dings? seems like it depends too much on the height and shape of the door of the car next to you.
I agree. It seems the most effective height for door protection is at the height of the most convex part of the average car door. I think because the LR4 is a tall vehicle, the lower position might be reasonable.

r'elise me

Reaction score
Personally, I would set the height to work with the car most likely to give me a ding - my wife's car! Seriously

Given the extreme slabiness and height of our doors, there's no moulding that will provide significant protection from parking lot door dings. Every door coming at us has a different height of contact and since our doors are nearly dead flat, we're pretty much screwed. That said, After 4 yrs and lots of parking lots, the only ding in my car was caused by....my bike!

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the black side molding on my LR and it is really easy to install. Literally a 10min job. It's done via double side tape and lining it up correctly isn't as tricky as it looks. You can use the LR.com site for location preference, i ended up doing it my own way since i happen to have a small dent that i am covering up. The only booboo i made was on the passenger door section, i didn't pay attention and put the L side on the R side. See comparison:

mine -

7083077991_85e5e86c62_c.jpg

what it suppose to look -
accoly_us_l319_vplap0012.jpg

holygrail

Reaction score
Guys, I had the dealer install it in December. I had the dealer redo it, and here's why. NOTE, during the Summer-time, car doors along with the whole car will expand from the heat. The dealer didn't believe me. I noticed that the front and rear moldings on the door were a little too close...looked good, but a little too close.

Afterward installation, I immediately headed to NY from VA to get my windows and windshield tinted, and install the 3M clear-bra all around the vehicle 360 degrees, of course except for the doors. While my car was being worked on, the car warmed up significantly under the industrial oil heaters (which were glowing orange) in the garage. When I went to open the rear doors to get something out, the doors wouldn't open. I pulled harder and I saw the metal sheet on the doors push in, then "snap" and the door popped opened. Luckily, the door didn't stay dented and the panel popped back out. It was the two plastic moldings that were rubbing against each other. There was no room for the doors to open. My car expanded under the heat lamps.

I took the car back to Land Rover and we let the car warm up in their garage, and sure and behold, the rear doors wouldn't open, ONLY if the front doors are already open.

SO, make sure the molds are not too close to each other. Plus, park next to a car and open its doors until it touches the LR4's side doors. Let the installer see where the approximate impact areas are on your doors. Have him install it at the spot you feel would block most of parking-lot door bangs. Also, whenever I park my LR4 at any parking lot, I raise my car all the way up. Works, don't have a single ding on my doors even after 16 months. That's what you gotta do if you car about scratches and dings. If you don't care, then lower the car for easy exit.

Lastly, got the molding with the chrome strip in the center. Got 20 inch wheels with black machined face with chromed lips. The chrome lips on the wheel and doors compliment each other. The rest of the car is blacked out, including the roof rails. Ordered my roof rails from England b/c they come black. Here in the states, they're silver, unless they offer the black colored rails now.

Chris

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holygrail,
Your LR4 sounds sweet. Can you post some pics for us.
Thanks,
George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635