Snow tires on 19's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timchilcott

Reaction score
I'm looking for an all terrain tire that IS good in the snow. Live in Colorado and just picked up my LR4. I've scoured the forums and haven't heard anyone talk about what they are running in snow that is safe.

Was looking at the Cooper Zeon LTZ but from the reviews I've read they don't do great in snow?

Is this hogwash?

What is your experience?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are really only two all-terrain tires for the 19" wheel: the Zeons and Goodyear Duratracs.

For tires in snowy climates, most recommend Nokian WRG3.

You might be better served changing wheels to either 20" or 18"--the latter if you off-road at all. Lots more options.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared to dedicated winter tires, Cooper Zeons are not good on packed snow, slush or ice.

I run 2 sets of tires- Zeons in the summer and Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV R2 winter tires. You can get traction with Zeons in winter, but the real priority is stopping and turning our heavy vehicles in slippery winter conditions.

Grab an extra set of used 19" wheels off ebay for winter. Get the correct tpms sensors based on your year. (And VIN if you have a 2013) Also, running 2 sets of wheels will help your summer wheels look good longer.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm, stock 19" tires are horrible in the snow on this car. Colorado native, purchased new Lr4 early in the year in time for the 4' snow and it was abysmal. Wife's Hyundai was better.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear DuraTracs are a great tire for 19" wheels. My wife has them on her RR (her choice, not mine) and loves them. They have been rock solid for her in all weather, including snow but the 19" size is only M/S rated, it does not have the Snowflake symbol. Being in CO that may be an issue??

They have some highway hum, but are not too loud, although the RR is definately quiter than our LR3, so I am unsure how loud they may be on an LR4.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are really only two all-terrain tires for the 19" wheel: the Zeons and Goodyear Duratracs.

For tires in snowy climates, most recommend Nokian WRG3.

You might be better served changing wheels to either 20" or 18"--the latter if you off-road at all. Lots more options.

We have the Nokians and they are brilliant in the snow. Not as good on ice as a true winter tire like an R2, but perfect for Colorado. We do a mix of city and mountain driving and never had an issue. They also hold up well in the wet and don't seem to be wearing any more than normal with our hot dry spell the last couple of months.

I am a huge fan of Nokian winter and all season tires. I've been using them on various cars for over 10 years - other than pure performance or off road, they are my go to brand.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
Winter Tires for CO

I have a 2012 LR4 & live at 8000' here in CO. It came with summer tires, so in about 3 months I'll get Nokian WRG3.

Even Consumer Reports really likes them.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm, stock 19" tires are horrible in the snow on this car. Colorado native, purchased new Lr4 early in the year in time for the 4' snow and it was abysmal. Wife's Hyundai was better.

Yeah, stock conti's are not good in the snow. I mean, they are not summer tires, and the car's AWD is awesome, but the tires easily bring down the car in snow/ice. With proper tires, it's spectacular.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so spoiled by dedicated snow tires I don't even want to use my BFGs in the winter. On flat ground, not mountains. There's that much difference, IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM