Spring spacers and LR3's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you following my other thread http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18802. I have now gotten intimate enough with the suspension to know that I will never ever run spacers on an LR3. Here is why - Full extension is controlled by the strut itself if you space it down 2" with a spacer you will exceed the design limitations of the front suspension. As I see it you will have the a-arms contacting the spring at full extension. The spring will rub on the frame and the cv boot will rub on the lower a-arm. Now if you don't wheel it and just drive it on pavement you will likely never see this problem. However if you drive it like I do and see wheel lifts on a regular basis (ie wheel off the ground). It will happen and likely in place you don't want it to!! My recommendation after seeing all of this is to stay away from spacers, or plan on adding a limiting strap to prevent this problem.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these the Toddco spacers? Can you please provide detailed shots of the spacer as it sits in position? What has the spacer manufacturer said? Sorry for all the hassle on the fail. Shoot me a PM - maybe we can work up some sort of deal on a deep discount adjustable set. I dig the fact that you actually wheel and don't waste our time with driveway shots or details of 91 octane fill-ups. Cheers Bro!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spacers suck for pretty much anything suspension related, no matter the type of suspension, JMO.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have any experience with them, however from what I see on the way the LR3 suspension is set up a spacer will actually create more problems. From what I see if you add a spacer you need to plan on lowering the mounting points for the a-arm's and diff to maintain the proper angles of the suspension. If this isn't done you are reducing the clearances between the a-arms and strut aswell as the cv joint. The rod-mod is maintaining the system but pushing it further to its limits which should be ok. (except in my case for what ever reason).

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please state your experience with spacers???????

Mainly with coil sprung Jeeps, they create a harsh ride, and wear out the stock stuff even faster.

I'm new to air suspensions, so on my part I'm sorry for over generalizing by saying they are bad across the board. :)

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All apologies Ryan. Question was specifically aimed at CMG. Seemed like an oversimplified and unqualified statement by the OP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90