strange things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok an idle at 3000 rpm is either a dirty stepper motor (easy and no cost) Could also be the base idle needs to be reset.

Did you ever check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail?

rob28

Reaction score
I don't get it, I put on a brand new stepper, did the base idle set, still idles wiggy, checking rail pressure tomorrow when my tester gets here, we'll see I guess, what pressure do see as correct? 2.4-2.6 bar (34-37lbf/in squared)? or?
thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I found 2.3 - 2.5 = 33 - 36 PSI

I know you also change out one fuel injector, but I do know (after some research) that bad idle and poor fuel economy can be attributed to bad fuel injectors

rob28

Reaction score
ok
I got the fuel rail pressure
all good
my rover is in a hangar, waiting
I have the whole top end apart
I had to bring out my chevy to get home
for the record, number 4 cylinder plug was black
spark plug
did a compression check
175 all across
I mean all the way
***?
this is an enigma
I think my dad is paying me back?
2.4 million dollar helicopter right next to my broke rover
not looking good
anyway tomorrow I will go and nail it
sorry

rob28

Reaction score
this rover seems to come and go
4th gear, rough, until it all goes away
then all good
5th rough, blow 2500 rpm, all good
magic number is 2000 rpm
vss
coil pack
maf
plugs
wires
air idle
number 4 injector
now it just does not do what should
brand new stepper for idle
with the idle high
let the clutch out to bring the idle down
it will come down
and stay
but not a true idle
give it gas, the idle goes way up
wow

rob28

Reaction score
I drove this machine 3 states
no worries
I drove it here with no probs
one day
I felt it
then it got worse

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I have reread this entire thread for the 3rd or 4th time... If it were mine, I would remove the MAF sensor and fire it up and take for a drive (yes this will throw all kinds of codes, but should let you know if the MAF sensor is bad or not)

I keep thinking with the main issue starting just in 4th and 5th gear that it was the VSS issue, but now that you have done everything else and after cleaning the MAF it seemed to get worse.

That makes me wonder if the MAF isn't bad, they do go bad and even cleaning can not help. You could take it apart and reset the carbon filament, but this is hard to explain.

I notice you have never stated the mileage on this Rover either. This may help a little, kind of giving an indication on wear and tear. Also since you have owned it has it ever over heated?

Pull the plugs again and check for any further black plugs after all the other work.

Rather than my thinking it may still be an injector issue (yes it could be possible) I would do the seafoam treatment on this Rover to make sure all carbon and dirty injectors are nice and clean.

Start with the Seafoam treatment (1 can in tank, 1 can in oil, and 1 can in the intake via the drivers side vacuum hose from the valve cover).

Then take for a spin without the MAF sensor (after you have tried the above and driven).

Change the oil within a few hundred miles after the seafoam in the oil.

I wish I could do more to help, but without being there to assist I can only go by what you are stating.

Kind of like writing an issue on your Helicopter, I know when I was in the Navy I Seen all kinds of issues written up by pilots and seen some very interesting sign offs by the maintenance crew. If you do not see it or feel it, some times it is hard to diagnose.

rob28

Reaction score
ok,then
everthing is back together
I will try what you suggest tomorrow, and thank you
and the mileage is just over 74,000, it has never came close to overheating on me
and the MAF is brand new, just installed it a week or two ago when I installed the new coil pac, but I will do what you said to be sure.
number 4 plug always come out black, not wet, just black, all the rest are tip top:)

rob28

Reaction score
ok, I can not get this idle under control
the first problem I had will have to wait, idle has a mind of it's own
here is the score
new parts are as follows;
MAF sensor
coil pac
VSS
injector #4
throttle position sensor
idle air control stepper motor
crank position sensor
camshaft position sensor
I installed a PCV rebuild kit complete
fuel filter
fuel regulator
I checked the pressure on the rail, all good
I checked compression, all good
I have done the sea foam thing(tank, crank, intake) 3 times
I pulled the connector off of MAF, still whacked out idle and about 2k rpm issues as at first
so
I pulled off all sensors multiplugs and went for a drive, same problem as I started out with, until the TPS went to shut off, WOW
ok, new stuff I have seen
when pulling a grade, the original prob is relevant in all gears, push in clutch and give it a rev, feels like a 4 cylinder
let it catch itself, then it goes back to normal
ok, here is the strange part(yup)
level driving, at about 50mph, 4th gear, it will run like it is missing a clyinder or two, let off on the gas, wait a second, then give it gas, it is all good, then, it will go away again and start missing, what do know about the main brain failing on these?

the problem seems to ocillate, comes and goes at speed
the idle, however, is way whacked
idleing way high, I disconnect the TPS, the idle drops and then goes way high
I plug another TPS not attached to the vehicle, idle goes to where it should be, so I take off the one attached to the vehicle, the idle goes down to normal, until I move it to where it needs to be for the screws, then 2500, to 3000rpm

I hope any of this helps, but my fixes are not fixing anything, the idle air control, connected or not, changes nothing, however, if I take my spare, hook it up while the engine is running, hold it in my hand, I can feel it searching

I can start the thing, It always starts
and I can walk away and hear the idle going up and down
when I sit inside while the thing is idleing, hand on shifter, I can feel it run true, then start missing, then run true, then start missing

knock sensors? ECU?

I does not like a load, going up a hill, forget it, push in the clutch and give it a rev, sounds like multiple thuds

sorry about my questions, but this is not working out like it should

the stereo sounds fantastic, 2 tweeters, 4 mids, 2 subs with an amp, and a 6cd changer, on a positive note

p.s. no walking so far, knock on wood

rob28

Reaction score
where would an island dweller find a way to check a rover main brain? without test book?
anyone?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72