Suspension Fault After Brake Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penguinrover

Reaction score
Well I'm a little out of sorts this evening, so I'm going to try to be brief yet informative.

Have an 07 SE LR3 and was getting the new brakes (thanks for the recommendatios previosly) put on here by a high-volume locally owned shop. They don't specialize in imports or anything of that nature but swore that they knew how to do a Rover.

Well they change everything and I drive 0.5 mile out of the shop...boom. "Suspension Fault Normal Height Only" with the Amber light. So I take it back to the shop they look at it and say everything is fine. Second time I drive out of the shop after they say it is okay...0.5 miles later same message. I take it back to the shop. They hook it up to a computer and say it is fine again. Third time out 0.5 miles later...and you can guess what happened. Fourth time...same story.

They claim that they "have a guy" to come look at it in the morning. I assume a dealer visit is in order.

Please tell me that this is not worst nightmare of them jacking in the wrong location. I've read the numerous other threads of brake sensors, etc bc I have previously had my own share of HDC faults 20k miles ago.

Thanks for any help!

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the screen say as far as heights? Are any sensors flahsing red? Test/charge the battery as they may have left things on, doors open, etc. Check the ride height sensors visually, and the connectors.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bodsy's Brake Bible download

Go to the link below and download and print out the latest version of Bodsy's Brake Bible.

Read it and then give it to the brake shop guys. They probably did not set and unset the rear parking brakes prior to staring the work as they did not know about it.

Link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible

Where the *** is insert disco3 co uk and put periods in where the spaces are. Blocking and all you know.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this.

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure as below.

penguinrover

Reaction score
Resolved:

Thanks for all the quick replies! It's funny that based on previous posts I preemptively printed the brake bible off and and gave it to them at the time of service. Hopefully they used it.

I wish I could offer more help to the board about a sensor that went bad or other definitive help. Good for me (but unfortunately for the sake of knowledge) the problem fixed itself after sitting overnight. Of course this leads me to think of the simplest of explanations. I had been out of town for a week and the car sat unused in some cold temperatures. The day I got back in town I took it to the brake shop. Sounds to me like it could have been a low battery issue that just resolved after driving it around that afternoon and warmer temperatures over night.

Of course there could still be a problem hiding that just hasn't resurfaced. I will keep you updated for sure. I appreciate everyone always coming to my help in times of need!

Just crossed the 60k barrier so looks like I'm due for a big service. Trying to find an independent or reputable shop here in the Southeast. Our local Rover dealer is famously horrible for service. Let me know if anyone has any experiences with good places around TN, AL, LA, etc. Thanks

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys did not want to open a new thread for a simple question...

My garage at work is pretty low, there are a lot of pipes run under the sealing… So I have to lock it in lower position – is it ok to leave the car in that lower locked position parked for all day long? Silly question, but I need to know the answer. :)

penguinrover

Reaction score
UNRESOLVED!

I'll try to be brief. Light went off 'magically' as previously mentioned...Started hearing a squeak about 5 days later. Got out of the car and back left rotor (brand new) was messed up looking! Immediately took in to dealer for 60k service and to check out this squeak/rotor. Bbyer, you were exactly right. Independent local shop did not disengage the electronic parking brake when they did the change. Dealer says that EPB, new left rear rotor, and new left rear pad are ruined. Looks like the indy guy is going to foot the bill luckily.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9