the gas OCTANE question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this question to the tech at my local LR dealer. I was told that the only difference was the additives in it. They told me if you add a fuel cleaner probably once a month you won't notice a difference. I've been using 87 since I bought it, I did try 91 for a few weeks and there was no difference in milage. I am still at ~3.17/gal for 87 and ~3.40 for 91 though.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this question to the tech at my local LR dealer. I was told that the only difference was the additives in it. They told me if you add a fuel cleaner probably once a month you won't notice a difference. I've been using 87 since I bought it, I did try 91 for a few weeks and there was no difference in milage. I am still at ~3.17/gal for 87 and ~3.40 for 91 though.

rich. good answer. <$5 savings for cheap gas just isnt worth it. not worth the possible dirty, weasel **** as the old man used to put it. ill stick to my sunoco 93.

xconcept, i thought about that theory a while back but knowing that your standard additive is about $5 or more, you arent saving anything overall except some cheap gas with some hocus pocus additive in it.

the real complaint is that now i spend $9 a gallon on my 103 race fuel. the camaro now gets 50/50 mix pump/race. used to be $5 a gallon. thats worth crying over.

colleyt

Reaction score
i appreciate the responses guys, thank you. the technical ones in particular have me thinking that although the cheaper gas may not hurt anything, what am i trying to achieve by running cheap gas and trying to save less than some of us spend on lunch. the ratio does close in the more expensive it gets too . never noticed that, good point.

a COROLLA? ummmmm no thanks. the more miles i have to drive the more i want to be in my LR. thats why i bought it. if im going to spend all that time behind the wheel i want to do it in a comfortable, reliable car with great visibility, all the creature comforts that we all enjoy and most importantly, that's SAFE (I drive home 5 days a week at 2am when bars close in hollywood). im gonna take the car that weighs a ton (safety), can get out of its own way (power wise) and can still fit easily into a compact parking spot. just thought i could save a few bucks a year by choosing a lower grade. oh well

oh and if I was in the UK..............
I probably wouldnt be driving as much and I would also be saving $240 a month on healthcare

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and if I was in the UK..............
I probably wouldnt be driving as much and I would also be saving $240 a month on healthcare

And, you'd be driving a 35mpg diesel Disco III

tcpfl

Reaction score
I've been praying for a diesel since 2001.
Maybe someday they'll get them cleaned up for the U.S.
Tom

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this question to the tech at my local LR dealer. I was told that the only difference was the additives in it. They told me if you add a fuel cleaner probably once a month you won't notice a difference.
Yep, those excellent Land Rover dealers all employ internal combustion engine design engineers. :tongue: The fact is the engine was designed for a higher compression ratio to function "as designed", which can't be delivered by 87 octane in many environments/altitudes. But of course, we have many duplicate threads for this already...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM