Thinking of buying an 05 LR3 : need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pwrl3ss

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and definitely new to Land Rover vehicles. I'm currently looking to buy a 2005 LR3 SE V8 (used) with less than 15k miles for less than $40k with 3rd row seat. I was hoping maybe that I could get some input about the LR3 before I buy one. One problem that I have seen pop up on different sites is the issue with the LR3 cutting off; is there a permanent fix for that? Does replacing the gas tank remedy the problem or is it a problem with the injectors? If anything, that would be the biggest concern I have that would keep me from buying an LR3. Are there any major issues with the 05? Could I still buy an extended warranty through LR? Cost?

One other thing; is $40k for an 05 SE V8 with 15k to high?

Thanks in advanced!

C

Cat

PWRL,
At the risk of jinxing myself, I have not had the stall problem others have detailed in various forums, so I am not sure how widespread that problem actually is. I did have my fuel tank replaced per recall in October of '05 & have not had any problems b/4 or since related to that recall. Only problem that I experienced that warranted a dealer repair was leaking at front pillars that was caused by a disconnected/crimped drain tube from sunroof. I believe manuf warranty is initially for 50K & I was offered extended warranty at time of purchase (which I declined) but was told that it would be available to be extended later. As far as the price you have negotiated it is pretty consistent with depreciation schedule for cars of similar original value & current miles.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy it. You'll love it. The people complaining the loudest here are the minority among thousands of owners. Great place for information, but just keep in mind that the happiest consumers aren't the ones who will screen the loudest....

R

roverdawg

Unfortunately, I've experienced many of the issues that some have had with their LR3s. On my 2005 LR3 HSE I've had everthing from the suspension faults (compressors) to the stalling issue (fuel tank), etc. but they're getting worked out. I say "go for it", it's a great vehicle. Seriously consider getting the extended warranty, it'll give you some peace of mind. I got my extended warranty thru the dealer at time of purchase and went with the 72 month/85,000 mile package (Warranty provider named "Land Rover Assured" but administered via 3rd party). $ varies by dealer/area/negotiating skills but expect to pay $1800-$2200.

J

jwc3

I just bought a V8 SE LR3 yesterday with the same features you listed for the same price. You can go to http://www.kbb.com and calculate the fair price for the vehicle you're considering. My exact config was listed at $44k, so I feel that I got a good deal for $39.9k.

I can't comment on the reliability of the LR3 since I've had mine for less than 24 hours, but this is my third Land Rover, so obviously I like their products. My 2004 Discovery was a great car and never had any troubles. The 96 Discovery was a great car too, but it was a bit more expensive to maintain. The LR3 is vastly superior to the older models from the standpoint of features, ride quality, performance, and aesthetic design. It's hard to beat.

I decided to buy an extended warranty, so I'm covered for 6 years or 75k miles. It cost $1,500. I'm assuming that major repairs on a vehcile this complex, if something ever blows up, will make that fee seem like a bargan.

Good luck with your decision.

L

lr305

Buy it! You won't regret!

pwrl3ss said:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and definitely new to Land Rover vehicles. I'm currently looking to buy a 2005 LR3 SE V8 (used) with less than 15k miles for less than $40k with 3rd row seat. I was hoping maybe that I could get some input about the LR3 before I buy one. One problem that I have seen pop up on different sites is the issue with the LR3 cutting off; is there a permanent fix for that? Does replacing the gas tank remedy the problem or is it a problem with the injectors? If anything, that would be the biggest concern I have that would keep me from buying an LR3. Are there any major issues with the 05? Could I still buy an extended warranty through LR? Cost?

One other thing; is $40k for an 05 SE V8 with 15k to high?

Thanks in advanced!

I bought a 05 used LR3 V8 SE with 5 seats with 5K miles about a month ago and paid $34,999.00 (a good deal, I check with the bank, the maximum loan for the truck was $41K at the time, I could not let it pass me by, so I got my 3rd car). The decision took more than 1 month to make. I searched every forum on the net and found most problems were that people had wrong expections or mistreated the vehicle, in addition to some manufacturing problems which have warranttee to take care of. In terms of stalling, I think it is related to the fuel tank. LR misplaced diesel fuel tank on some earlier vehicles for sale in the States and recalled later in 2005. My truck was one of them. The dealer changed it for free, I waited for a week to get the job done. So far I added 1k miles on it and never had any single problem other than low gas mileage (mixed driving for 15mpg) which I knew. Hope my experience helps you make decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rsgg0515

I own one... LOVE IT! I am one of the people that did actually have a problem with it cutting out, I had the replacement, and now all is fine. I have not had a problem since. Like our family, and so many others, once you own a landrover, you'll never go back... we're on our third... have test drove many others when shopping, but none compare! BUY IT! You will not be sorry.

J

jackmac

Go for it, and let us know when you bring one home!

The stall you mentioned usually refers to the issue which was resolved with the gas tank recall. This only affected a small percentage of owners. The compressor failure is also one of the more common issues with the early vehicles. Not to worry, it's all under warrantee, and I'm sure any resale from a dealer would have the recall already performed.

P

pharden

I just purchased a 2005 w/ 10,000 miles and most every option except the Nav. for $35,500 for my wife to replace her Land Cruiser. There is not alot out there if you want a mid-size vehicle w/ a 3rd row seat and a v-8. So far so good w/ ours. I would ask for the service history on the vehicle. It will give you some indication of past issues

D

davechogan

Do it, and don't look back!

I bought a 2005 V8 HSE a little over two months ago. It only had 1590 miles on it. Now I have about 4k miles on it and I have not had any problems at all. I absolutely love this vehicle. I have owned Jeep and Lexus vehicles before and this is the perfect combination!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM