This LR4 Drives Great in the SAND!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the new truck stoke (I've been on an LR3 since 2005) but man does this truck drive great in the sand!

This was my second trip down to Cape Hatteras, NC with several trips out in deep soft sand. I drop the tires to 20 PSI, keep them there for the length of my stay, and it doesn't even seem like the truck works in the sand. And on this trip, I was loaded up with passengers and a box on the roof with beach toys and boards.

Went out to that new island off the tip of the Cape a couple days. Don't believe the internet news warnings to stay away. It's a very cool thing to visit and as long as you are not a ***** you will have no problem paddling out and back to it without getting flushed out to sea or eaten by sharks. There are, unfortunately, some morons though, who may succeed in getting it closed for the rest of us.

Didn't take any pictures of my wheels on the sand for some reason, but here is a guy who parked across from me. I think it's also a 2013. Saw him there every day setup with this compound. Nice guy who had a similar FrontRunner rack as I did and a nice set of deep tread knobby Goodyear tires on the 19" rims. I'd never seen them before but they looked nice.

A few pics to prove I was there... ;)

FullSizeRender-vi.jpg

The new island...
FullSizeRender15-vi.jpg

Our girls collecting shells
FullSizeRender16-vi.jpg

Aerial shot (not a drone, I literally threw my camera up in the air)
IMG_7652-vi.jpg

Preparing to make the crossing...
FullSizeRender1-vi.jpg

In any case, just sharing the stoke of another fun trip in the Land Rover! Such a comfortable ride, even loaded up.

On the trip down I had 4 people, a dog, hitch tray loaded with luggage, roof box loaded with toys, surf boards tied above that, and I was still average 19.5MPG on the highway at 70mph. That's the same I was getting in my LR3. Good times!

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I know that rover!
Whats up man? This is Adrien - the guy with the the (2011) LR4 you have pictured.
Great to meet and chat with you.
I concur the LR4 is fantastic on the beach, and will handle anything the outer banks can throw at it.

Oh man I wish I was back there instead of Brooklyn right now.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

- Adrien

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some other pics of the Rover on the beach:

Early Morning Surf check

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

Our Set up - If you have two vehicles with roof racks the hammock is a game changer (especially if you have kids that need a nap).

IMG_7403.jpg
IMG_7464.jpg

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Toddjb122 is that an inflatable SUP? If so how do you like it. I am looking at regular Stand ups and with limited space for storage (BK,NY) an inflatable might be the right way to go.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adrien! Hey, nice to meet you as well. Cool that you're on the forum. Nice looking truck. I'll hit you up for more tire info some time as those looked nice. I didn't notice any sand issues with the ones on my vehicle (much less defined tread) but I like the look of yours better and I'm sure they're better in mud and snow. I think I swore off GYs after the stock ones on my LR3 would always get lumpy after sitting for a while. Nylon belts or something... may be time for another look.

Yeah, we were out there 2 or 3 times and saw your vehicles set up each day. Looks like you all made the best of it by setting up camp for the day and enjoying the surf. Was going to stop back and have you walk over and look at my rack, but missed you. I have the same rack as you but without the deck. Just the three crossbars.

If you don't need a platform, the three bars provide a lot of versatility and insignificant road noise. I think you could convert yours for free as I suspect your deck is sitting on the three bars now (which the platform is attached to). You'd just buy the plastic bar end caps from FR.

Anyway, worth a shot and I still put lots of Front Runner attachments on for boards, boats and boxes. Good product.

Thanks for the pics. What a great spot.

Hey Toddjb122 is that an inflatable SUP? If so how do you like it. I am looking at regular Stand ups and with limited space for storage (BK,NY) an inflatable might be the right way to go.
It is an inflatable. If you buy a quality inflatable they are rigid as a board. That one is only a 9' and I originally got it thinking it would be a kids board, but it's so stable I paddle it regularly with a kid, dog and fishing pole. No issues. They're great. I'd get a 10' though. This one has a round nose so there's is more real estate for people/gear. Most are pointy.

I have a rigid and an inflatable board. I use the inflatable 80% of the time because it is just so much easier to deal with. The rigid will be better for surfing and glides faster for long paddles, but if you are not racing, it doesn't matter. They are a pain in the ass to pump up. I usually leave it inflated to the 15psi and only deflate it once or twice a year when I'm too packed up with gear to fit it up top.

On this trip, I traveled down from MD with it rolled up in my rear tray, but other than that I just throw it up on the roof and strap it down like I would any board. Don't buy the $300 one on Amazon and you should be fine. Buy one that retails for around a grand, but they are frequently on sale in the $500-$700 range. I guess the point is, don't buy it thinking that you will inflate it each day you want to use it. Unless you have a compressor, it's a workout.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I will check it out.
Thinking about some Catch Surf soft tops for the kids to learn on first (and for me to play on). But I do really want an SUP for the east coast tiny waves day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I will check it out.
Thinking about some Catch Surf soft tops for the kids to learn on first (and for me to play on). But I do really want an SUP for the east coast tiny waves day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have instagram? I have a passion for surf and sup, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me at @NorthBeachBrian --- I'm not a fan of inflatable sups unless that's the only option. Plus, you have an LR4, just load up a full on sup up top.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

Yeah I never thought about an inflatable before, but I live in a Loft in Brooklyn and already have 4 boards hanging on the wall. I think i will be able to squeeze a big one somewhere, but will see.

My insta is in my sig - haven't been on it in a while. Will start back up.

Have a great weekend.

- Adrien

Christopher

Reaction score
Hey fellas- I am glad I acame across this post. I live in DC and trying to make a trip down to OBX or Hatteras before the summer ends. I just finished a camping trip and realized that I am in need of more storage... roof rack or hitch cargo attachement. I will also need some new tires soon... so I have been researching that as well. I have a 2015 LR4 LUX....

I'd appreciate any insight you can give me on what you have put on your trucks to support your outdoor lifestyles...

also the camp set up is awesome.. what did you use for the canopies?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper Zeons are a good all around tire if you go off road. They are very quiet on the road when new. However, they tend to dig more than float in sand when new. Be sure to air them down to 20 or so when new and driving in sand.

However, as they wear down, they get louder on the road but work better in sand. I have a nicely worn set that I only run in July/August/September for beach driving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9