Timing Chain repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a 2014 LR4 HSE Lux when should I be looking at this being concerning?? If I do the 7500 mile oil changes on it should I not have to worry about it until 150,000 plus?? How does one tell that it's time to change? Is it the noise that was described in the original thread?

This issue is present only on 5.0L V8's. You have a SCV6, so I believe you are safe. In fact, I believe the issue is largely gone after half-way through MY2012.

I have a MY2013 and I hope I am immune to this issue.

ktharper

Reaction score
Same question as Vytec. My 2012 HSE 5.0L has 103,000. I change the oil between 5,000 and 7,500. I thought I would wait for the timing chain followers to start clicking before I got worried. Any advice?

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Does anyone know if that bulletin applies to all Land Rover 5.0 engine vehicles or just the Range Rovers - even though it’s the same 5.0 engine?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZ: It *should* apply to all.. All 3 forums are chattering about it as it plagues us all.. As Quijote stated, right around mid build-year 2012 the issue was fixed with upgraded components.. I think there is a place you can check your VIN to see if you are in the clear..

KT: From what I understand, you should hear it on startup. If you don't hear it, I'd keep rolling..

Mike

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 at 160k kms (100k miles) should be a ticking time bomb but is completely silent at start up (minus the injector noise lol). If these threads were to be believed my engine would be in it's death throes. I believe proper oil at short intervals will solve most of this issue, at least I hope.So far so good. Will report back in at 200k kms.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 at 160k kms (100k miles) should be a ticking time bomb but is completely silent at start up (minus the injector noise lol). If these threads were to be believed my engine would be in it's death throes. I believe proper oil at short intervals will solve most of this issue, at least I hope.So far so good. Will report back in at 200k kms.
Same here, except ours is at ~116kmi or so. I posted an oil analysis in a different thread, everything looks OK so far, but I will be using shorter intervals than the previous owner (dealer maintained, 1-owner though ~110kmi). I still believe that using the correct-specification oil, AND changing at proper intervals, is critical to the survival of the timing chain/sprockets/etc.

Red Landie

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same metallic clanking sound when the engine is cold. I recorded the sound, as it is intermittent. The dealer mechanic told me the sound I am hearing is the fan clutch, not the timing chain. He said the two problems sound similar, and it takes an experienced ear to differentiate. The cost difference between a fan clutch replacement and a timing chain replacement is phenomenal.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing the same metallic clanking sound when the engine is cold. I recorded the sound, as it is intermittent. The dealer mechanic told me the sound I am hearing is the fan clutch, not the timing chain. He said the two problems sound similar, and it takes an experienced ear to differentiate. The cost difference between a fan clutch replacement and a timing chain replacement is phenomenal.

If it sounds like clock ticking (every second or so) it is the fan clutch

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Ryanjl - thanks for the link to check vin against the bulletin - my VIN is listed - so what does that mean Landrover will do for me if I hear noise at startup.... I only see notes about replacing tensioners - but if noise is present hasn't the chain be stretched and maybe gears the chain rides on all need to be replaced?

If anyone knows - I would appreciate your thoughts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM