Tire options for LR3 SE, 18" rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

combee1

Reaction score
Hi, avid reader of the forums but only second post. I've had numerous problems with my fully loaded 2005 V-8 SE (see post on Sticky thread). Among them has been the abnormal wear on the Goodyear HP's. I'm actually on my second set of HP's (I didn't know any better and have just recently learned of air suspension and alignment problems thanks to this and other LR3 forums).

My dilemma is that I need a new set of tires. (In reality, what I'd really like to do is sell/trade-in the beast, but I've got 40K on it in just a year and a half and a service record the size of an encyclopedia. To be honest, I want to love this truck. I keep thinking that the next problem will be the last - silly me.) After doing much research (Consumer Reports, TireRack, and ConsumerResearch.com - great site by the way, etc.) I had settled on the GY Wrangler Silent Armours (I do a fair amount of off-road beach and mountain driving and would like to go with an all-terrain tire). The only problem is that the GY Wrangler Silent Armours are on back order with no production date scheduled (so I learned from a sales rep at Discount Tire and Goodyear Tire stores). Nobody in the states has these in stock, 265/60R18's. Basically, I can't get them.

My second choice would be the Bridgestone A/T Revo's. By all reviews these seem to be a great tire. However, I can only get them in 265/70R18. Does anybody know if these are a close enough size? Would there be a problem with the 70 ratio as far as clearance and mileage and speedometer readings? More importantly, is anybody running these tires on an LR3? I know a lot of Disco owners use them on 17 inch rims, but can't find if anybody has put them on an LR3.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people have used the nitto 285 65 18 tire with success. 265 70 18 is the same diameter tire (32.6") and a little narrower, so I would imagine you would have success. Both tires are about 8% bigger than stock, so you would see a 'error' of 8% in your odometer and speed. Also, with either of the above, you really would need to buy 5 tires to match the spare.
I've been waiting and waiting for the silent armor's as well. They are in everyone's computer as available, even had a deposit down on them. Even called Goodyear corporate. They say, "by the end of the year" now - but I'd be surprised.
Did you look at the dunlop st8000? Sounds like they have a relatively short treadlife, but look like a nice all weather tread. If you want treadlife I think the Michelin's are probably tops.
I have an LR3 loaner at the moment (routine service) and was absolutely shocked to drive on new tires and realize how loud my GY's have gotten in 15,000 miles.

As an aside, when I got in the loaner and left, I thought hmmmm, this V6 isn't so bad. It's quite a good deal slower, but still peppy. When I got home, I realized it was actually the V8! I can't believe how much slower it is than my '05.
Other things I've noticed and/or missed out on:
Bluetooth phone feature is awesome!
Nav is ********. It doesn't do anything that a $399 Garmin can do.
The fridge would be cool - if it was twice as big.
collapsible rear seat headrests are awesome for rearward visibility.
I got the crappy stereo :( huge difference.

combee1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the rep at Goodyear said he would be "shocked" if he got any Silent Armors before the year ended. He also said that Tire Rack usually gets them before he does. I have not looked at the ST8000 but I'll give it a look. Thanks for the input. I have seen the Nittos on an LR3. They look very aggresssive and wide, almost too aggressive and wide. Plus the tread doesn't seem to hold up well on a vehicle this heavy, but I will consider them as well if I can't get the Revo's.

We've had trouble getting a loaner from our dealer (this is where we bought the truck). Their service department has been so swamped they have no loaners. All we ever get is a rental car. 50 large and I'm tooling around in a Cobalt. Are you kidding me? Sadly no.

We like our Nav. With all the travelling around the states that we have done, it has been nice to have. I will admit that I have seen better systems, but it has done the job for our needs. We would love to have the bluetooth, but the retrofit seems overpriced and underoptioned. I wonder why the loaner V8 seemed to have less juice? I must say that a lack of power has never been a complaint of mine with the LR3.

I'm still interested to hear if anyone has actually put the Revo's on the LR3 and what their impressions are. Thanks again.

combee1

Reaction score
OK. I ordered my Dueler A/T Revos. They should be in tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't have the LR3 back yet. Apparently, Firestone can't do an alignment for the LR3 either. So I'm going to have to take the LR3 to Firestone to have the tires put on and balanced and then back to Land Rover for an alignment. I ordered 5 tires, since the Revos are bigger than the OEM Goodyears. I expect the Revos will provide for a little "cushier" ride since the profile is 70. I'll post my impressions when I finally get them on.

combee1

Reaction score
Love the tires, but they don't fit....

Got the A/T Revos put on today. P265/70R18. The spare would not fit under the truck so I had to take the best of my Goodyears and only buy 4 Revos. They looked pretty tight in the well so I suspected they were going to be too big to use, but I wanted to drive them anyway.

As suspected the Revos with a 70 profile do provide for a much "softer" ride. Not that it is bad, but it is the most noticeable difference from the Goodyears. Ride noise is excellent. I think the larger profile on the tire makes the truck look very tough, and less urban-like. A big bonus in my book. However, with any aggressive accelerating or cornering, the tires rub considerably along the wheel wells. They will have to go back. I'll try to provide some photos before I take them back.

I guess it is back to the drawing board as far as finding a good all-terrain tire that will fit this vehicle.

thinkingdog

Reaction score
That's too bad.

I recently put Revos on my f-150 and think they are great.

Meanwhile, I remain landlocked with choices for the 19 inchers on my LR3.

A

AZSTALZ

The most likely reason that '06 V8 seemed slower than your '05 is people put regular octane unleaded in those "loaners" all the time, which all but brings an LR3 to a standstill....

A

AdvRide

The spare tire would have fit if you aired it down to 5 psi or so. I have the Nitto 285's and that is how I got it under the rear. I carry an electric pump in my recovery kit anyway so it was no big deal. The only issue with this is the receiver hitch will not plug in with the tire under there. One other thing is I would not run a different circumference tire which your stock Goodyear is at 30" I believe. I have read that it is not good on the 4x4 system.

combee1

Reaction score
That's a pretty good setup with the aired down spare and pump. I'll have to consider that option. AdvRide, are you having any issues with rubbing along the wells with the Nitto's. The only place the Revos rub are on the front portion of the back wells and only over large bumps or while accelerating around corners (and of course at access height - they are over 32" in diameter). I've ordered my Nitto's and they should be in tomorrow. The guy at Firestone was a good sport and is just going to swap them out for the same cost, which I thought was a good deal because it would have cost me more had I gone to Discount Tire.

L

LR3_WA

I just replaced my stock Goodyears with 255/60VR18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero as I was having inside wear on three of the tires due to align issues. (Going in to get the 4 wheel align done)

These Pirelli Scorpions have about the same noise as the Goodyears. Though I like the ride a lot better. I've noticed that they do not get caught in the grooves on I-90 in WA as bad as the Goodyears did !

I can't wait until the align is done and see how the ride is on these new Scorpions. And also how they handle in the dirt, sand, & snow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635