TPMS Question when upgrading to Full Size Spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
I know that models with the HD Package get a full size spare with a TPMS transmitter included in the spare.

If I replace my donut spare with a Full Size Spare, I'd like to put a TPMS transmitter in it.

My question is will the vehicle's computer automatically pick up the new additional TPMS transmitter, or do I need to have a dealer's service dept. do some re-coding?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2013 without HD package, I just installed a full size spare without a tpms sensor. I figure the donut spare tire didn't have a tpms sensor so I didn't bother installing one in the full size spare. I suspect that vehicles without the HD package do not monitor the spare tire pressure. But when you get a flat and use the full size spare, you will get an error message from the tire without a sensor.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare tire monitoring is built into the TPMS of our cars, but needs to be enabled via diagnostics on cars that were factory fitted with a compact spare the system does not monitor compact spares.)Also, in order to recognize a new sensor, it must be installed in a driving wheel and driven around for about 10-15 minutes at a sustained rate of speed to get automatically recognized and registered. You can then transfer that wheel into the spare wheel well if you'd like. Or, the sensor's electronic serial number can be manually entered into the TPMS control module via diagnostics. If you are going to visit your dealer to get the spare tire monitoring feature enabled, you might as well ask them to register your new sensor while they are at it - labor charge should be the same... If you know that serial number.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99