trail parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I want to start putting together a parts list for the trail. My question is what are some parts I should or think about taking with me. I have a 2000 disco 4.0. I have some stuff including: belt, wiper blades arm and clips, assorted nuts and bolts, spare set of wires and plugs, some hoses and vacuum line, .12 wire .16 wire. brake pads with soft and hard line. I would like to add front end parts but I am not sure which. I have been noticing a "clunk" after wheeling that I haven't checked yet and was wondering what is usually the first to start rattling around so I can get 2, It's the same sound as when a control arm bushing starts to go. Also, with ball joints on a 2000 is it one size fits all on this rig or are there different sizes up there? Thanks Joe

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You must wheel a lot.... I have been off road several times, and never needed a part yet... key word being YET.

If I were to keep anything for basic wheeling it would be an S-Belt, a tire repair kit, and recovery gear.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add front end parts but I am not sure which. I have been noticing a "clunk" after wheeling that I haven't checked yet and was wondering what is usually the first to start rattling around so I can get 2, It's the same sound as when a control arm bushing starts to go. Also, with ball joints on a 2000 is it one size fits all on this rig or are there different sizes up there? Thanks Joe

IMHO--The clunk may be radius arm bushes, but that's just a guess.
As far as spares go, along with the other posted suggestions, I would recommend a brake switch, a u-joint and a rotoflex coupling in any spares kit.

In my experience, I would say the weakest points on the front end are the drag link/steering rods bending, the front diff cover getting dented, and the Birfield (C/V) joints breaking. On the practical side, I would definately recommend getting protection for the diff cover. A good swack with a rock can bend that thin cover plate into the crown gear, as well as make a hole, draining all your gear oil. As far as the steering goes, you can get home with bent links for the most part (if careful).

On the other hand, a busted C/V can leave you dead in the water if you require 4wd to get back out. Cranking the steering full left or right with some aggressive driving can snap a C/V fairly quickly. A locked CDL can keep you moving in 2wd with a busted C/V, but depending on where the break is, driving your rig may cause even more damage to the front end. Removing the busted C/V to prevent further damage is not an option because it also holds the wheel hub assembly together; you must have a replacement if you remove the old one.

There is an impractible side of keeping spare C/Vs, cost and space. D2 Birfields are pressed into the axle half-shafts as a complete assembly, so you would need the whole assembly. You would also need to keep a spare assembly for each side of the axle, since both half-shafts are different lengths. Also, you would need the required tools to remove the axle assembly.

On the practical side, you can always just accept the risk. Just keep in mind that the C/Vs are a weak link on our drivetrain. Always tracking straight ahead (as much as possible) in low traction situations, and never cranking the steering wheel with a full throttle are valuable points to keep in mind when off-roading:smile:

Last edited:

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey, thanks for the reassurance. It's not so much as going wheeling a lot but when we do go it's for extended periods of time. I do take a spare belt and a tire repair kit along with a tube and some 2+2 carb cleaner to blow the bead back on.
DS, thanks for the tips and the roto and u's are what slipped my mind.
Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635