Transmission valve body replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2002 Freebie

Reaction score
Hello, all. Newbie, here. This is my first post on the site. I'm hoping a LR mechanic or someone versed in the working of the Freelander reads this and is familiar with my problem.

My wife took in her 2002 Freelander last week to have the fuel pump recall done. While there they told her she needed to have the transmission valve body replaced, to the tune of $2200. I'm hoping for a less expensive alternative if, indeed, this is an issue.

After driving it for awhile the transmission display sometimes shows a flashing 'F-4' and hill descent control symbol, with an exclamation point. I do notice that the vehicle seems 'underpowered' when this happens, especially from a standing start. It seems like its starting out in third or fourth gear. Once up to speed, it seems to be driving normally until I have to stop again, or if I try to engage a 'kickdown,' which doesn't happen.

If I turn the vehicle off, even for a few seconds, all this goes away and the vehicle returns to regular driving behavior until the next time, which could be an hour later or three or four days later.

If anyone familiar with this situation, please let me know what I'm in for or if there are any alternatives to replacing this expensive unit they're recommending.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sadly you have found one of the known issues with the freelanders.

I have 2 options for you... attempt to fix the Transmission, and hope the engine doesn't die (which is the second known issue for freelanders).

Option 2 is find a dealer willing to take it in on trade and get rid of it fast.

2002 Freebie

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the transmission valve body and whether a replacement is necessarily indicated, or if repair of the unit is possible? Also, I've read where an inexpensive solenoid unit repair can be an answer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2002 Freebie

Reaction score
Well, I decided to give it a little wait so I can have the codes read when the warning signals show again. But it's been almost three weeks since the last episode of the symptoms I described, with nothing. Vehicle drives fine (I do love the way these SUVs drive and handle when they're working right).

I was told a 'P1748' code would signal a need to change the 2/4 brake solenoid on the transmission valve body. Apparently, that job is all that's needed in these cases, but the dealerships like to replace the whole valve body unit (obviously at much expense to the customer).

So, I've been driving the vehicle every day since, waiting for the codes to reappear. I've probably put 1000 miles on it with no incident, whatsoever. Hopefully, if the symptoms do come back, this is all it is and I won't have to spend $2200 replacing the entire unit, as the dealer wishes.

Anyway I hope this information can help somebody, even if I can't get any advice here. And I'll be sure to post my findings if there are any further developments.

Larry

Reaction score
Hello, all. Newbie, here. This is my first post on the site. I'm hoping a LR mechanic or someone versed in the working of the Freelander reads this and is familiar with my problem.

My wife took in her 2002 Freelander last week to have the fuel pump recall done. While there they told her she needed to have the transmission valve body replaced, to the tune of $2200. I'm hoping for a less expensive alternative if, indeed, this is an issue.

After driving it for awhile the transmission display sometimes shows a flashing 'F-4' and hill descent control symbol, with an exclamation point. I do notice that the vehicle seems 'underpowered' when this happens, especially from a standing start. It seems like its starting out in third or fourth gear. Once up to speed, it seems to be driving normally until I have to stop again, or if I try to engage a 'kickdown,' which doesn't happen.

If I turn the vehicle off, even for a few seconds, all this goes away and the vehicle returns to regular driving behavior until the next time, which could be an hour later or three or four days later.

If anyone familiar with this situation, please let me know what I'm in for or if there are any alternatives to replacing this expensive unit they're recommending.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
I'm having the same problem with my 2010 buick.. taking it in tomorrow to have the valve body replaced.. Did you notice a smell , like driving the car with the choke out?? Wonder why??? Larry

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99