Uneven Tire Wear and Stumbling- 2008 LR3- HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golfer1659

Reaction score
I have a 2008 LR3 with around 31k on the truck, got it about a year ago through the local dealership that they owned the whole time.

I went to the dealership about a week ago due to a stumbling of the engine apon startup and they gave me some feedback saying my tires were wearing uneven.

So the issues I had and explanations given:

1) Stumbling at startup and almost stalling: There was some programing that wasnt updated and that it would fix the issue (load of crap?).

2) She also mentioned sometimes the stumbling issue can be caused due to a carbon build up. Do people normally sea foam the engine? If so does anyone have a link for a DIY?

3) They also mentioned I have a uneven tire wear issue after only a year of owning the car.

4) Recently I started the car and when I turned on the air conditioning the car seemed to almost stall and almost stumble. This incident is completely seperate to Number 1 and occured a month later.

Thanks for any help.....................

All of this besides a back break light bulb going out has me thinking twice about the enjoyment of this truck and moving on before it is out of warranty in another year and a half or 20k miles. I cant believe for the pricing that this truck is so problematic. Kind of said, so far I would never get another Land Rover product..................

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had this same stumbling problem recently, turned out to be a bad alternator. cost 315 bucks and i put it on myself in about two hours. fixed all the problems i had.

uneven tire wear, welcome to owning an LR3 it seems! I have fought that battle a lot and no matter how many alignments i had done, still uneven. with the hight of the vehicle changing constantly up and down ever so slightly the camber and castor also are changing with it. Thats what i came up with at least.

Oh and the alternator wasn't bad bad, it was that when the engine was running i would get just enough juice to run fine, but with a load on it it didn't seem to push enough back to the battery to sustain life, no warning lights or anything because the voltage never really dropped below 12.10v when running even under a load.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off-road Golfer...you'll enjoy it then!

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is stumbling and sometimes stalling at low speeds such as coasting under 5mph. . . The first thing I would check is the mass air flow sensor, air filter, and throttle body. You can take out the MAF sensor in less than 2 minutes. It is two torx screws. Get some MAF sensor cleaner. Clean it. Put it back in. Ensure the throttle body is visually in working order. Ensure air filter is good. . .

Check the MAD sensor.

Golfer1659

Reaction score
Take it off-road Golfer...you'll enjoy it then!

I do anytime I go paintballing, fishing and snowboarding........... :)

If it is stumbling and sometimes stalling at low speeds such as coasting under 5mph. . . The first thing I would check is the mass air flow sensor, air filter, and throttle body. You can take out the MAF sensor in less than 2 minutes. It is two torx screws. Get some MAF sensor cleaner. Clean it. Put it back in. Ensure the throttle body is visually in working order. Ensure air filter is good. . .

Check the MAD sensor.

is there a DIY section on any forum with write ups on the LR3? I do alot of work on cars with modifications and stuff, alot of european cars I have had audi and bmw and my boat motor yamaha 150.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes there was a new software update for the ecm to fix some of the hard starts and yes you do get carbon build up on the tbody just clean it with some carb cleaner. and no dont clean the maf sensor you will do more damage then help. alignments well yeah welcome to landrover there is a tight tolerence mode you should put your vehicle in before aligning all wheels. can only be put into that mode by the dealer or any shop that has a factory based tool

Golfer1659

Reaction score
yes there was a new software update for the ecm to fix some of the hard starts and yes you do get carbon build up on the tbody just clean it with some carb cleaner. and no dont clean the maf sensor you will do more damage then help. alignments well yeah welcome to landrover there is a tight tolerence mode you should put your vehicle in before aligning all wheels. can only be put into that mode by the dealer or any shop that has a factory based tool

I cant seem to find a land rover shop here on Long Island and I am not willing to pay dealer costs, I should of looked into this one before buying honestly.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to find a land rover shop here on Long Island and I am not willing to pay dealer costs, I should of looked into this one before buying honestly.

trust me almost every car now a days have software related issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9