Want to Get Rear Diff Checked Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

san6279

Reaction score
2006 LR3 HSE, 57K, HD Pkg

Had the rear diff replaced under warranty about 2 yrs ago at 40K. Had the howling sound and dealer described diff as having metal shavings and burnt fluild. Fast forward 2 years. I am getting near the end of my Ford ESP extended warranty...May 2012. Although have not heard the howling sound and haven't had any issues, I'd like to get the rear diff checked just to make sure the same problems have not started all over again...but may not be noticeable at this point since I only have about 16K on the new rear diff.

So, two questions.

1. Was there an actual "fix" to the original problem with the rear diffs, meaning was the new one installed somehow different than the one pulled out? Or was the replacement the same as the one pulled out? (Could not get an answer on this from my service advisor.)

2. What is the best way for me to get the rear diff checked? Should I just go ahead and get the fluid changed now, prior to the 75K recommendation, or is there a cheaper way to go about it?

Appreciate any advice members can provide.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that there is a revised part, but I'm not sure when it cut into production. Someone else on this forum may know. Other than that, I'd recommend getting the diff fluid changed more frequently for insurance.

san6279

Reaction score
I have heard that there is a revised part, but I'm not sure when it cut into production. Someone else on this forum may know. Other than that, I'd recommend getting the diff fluid changed more frequently for insurance.

Thanks for the response. Believe I will just take it in prior to warranty end and have them change the diff fluid - just to be on the safe side. It is in the shop today. Apparently there was a seal leak in the front diff. Believe they contacted Ford ESP and it should be covered. We'll see.

san6279

Reaction score
Got word back. Front pinion seal is the problem and being covered by Ford ESP. Advisor said it was about a 5 hour fix. Looks like I will recoup a little bit from my warranty at least. Had thought for sure if I purchased the warranty nothing would go wrong....and if I didn't purchase, of course, all hell would break loose.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May want to have your front lower bushings checked while they're doing the other work. Ford ESP paid for my bushings to be replaced twice in 2 years.

san6279

Reaction score
May want to have your front lower bushings checked while they're doing the other work. Ford ESP paid for my bushings to be replaced twice in 2 years.

Currently it is at the dealer. Am thinking I will take it to an Indy shop (there is a good one in Bellevue, WA I believe) and have them do a thorough check (60K service?) before the warranty expires. Seems like they would offer me a better deal. Dealer told me 60K was $850 today. Can't hurt to have the dealer check the bushings, however. Thanks for the heads up.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been no design change in the diffs by Land Rover. There is aftermarket improved parts, Ring & Pinion and seals.

The main problem being, that the Differential fluids should be changed every other oil change. By the time the first recommended service occurs, the bearings and parts have developed rust and are beyond repair. From there, the bearings self destruct due to the rust.

A swapped unit, or rebuilt with improved parts, and regular oil changes will ensure trouble free service for a long time to come.

Parts and Units better than OEM are available.

Attachments

• rusty-bearings-P1010380-ss.jpg
    rusty-bearings-P1010380-ss.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you said it WASN'T howling as of now...so what is the problem?

san6279

Reaction score
I thought you said it WASN'T howling as of now...so what is the problem?

Yep, as of now there is no indication of a problem with the new rear diff (2 yrs old, 16K miles). I just wanted to have them open it up to make sure. I honestly don't remember when the howling started on the first rear diff. Figured there could still be a problem developing without me knowing about it.

The leak on the front diff they just found on their own today.

san6279

Reaction score
There has been no design change in the diffs by Land Rover. There is aftermarket improved parts, Ring & Pinion and seals.

The main problem being, that the Differential fluids should be changed every other oil change. By the time the first recommended service occurs, the bearings and parts have developed rust and are beyond repair. From there, the bearings self destruct due to the rust.

A swapped unit, or rebuilt with improved parts, and regular oil changes will ensure trouble free service for a long time to come.

Parts and Units better than OEM are available.

Thanks for the info. I thought it a little strange today that the advisor didn't jump on the chance to change my rear diff fluid. Plus he said he would have to believe that Land Rover made a change to the rear diff since it was a known problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635