Want to Get Rear Diff Checked Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there was a change to the LOCKING rear diffs early on...like 2005s and maybe some early '06s. The locking mechanism was machined out of tolerance and caused a miscommunication that triggered a transmission fault. I would know...it happened to me 6 months into ownership.

Then there is the issue with the coating on the inside of the diffs, that purportedly flaked off and gummed up the gears. That has reportedly been changed. I can't really prove that off hand; it's just what my service advisor told me.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tlt: I don't disagree with your 15k mile change interval for diff fluid, but how did you arrive at that number versus, say...30k miles? Curious.

@san: the leak in your front diff could be due internal pressure as a result of the breather tube cap not being large enough. There is a TSB and revised breather tube cap. I had it done. Cheap insurance.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my AS the problem was mostly with the locking diffs.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came to the conclusion, by monitoring for water in the oils. In 20k, I had additional water after a change, with no rain or fording. So, it makes sense to change it more frequently, say every 15-20k and monitor for water. Then you could adjust to suit you own situation.

It just makes sense, that an ounce of prevention here is worth a pound of cure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes; it makes sense, thanks for the follow-up. ...and thanks for doing the analysis!

san6279

Reaction score
I think there was a change to the LOCKING rear diffs early on...like 2005s and maybe some early '06s. The locking mechanism was machined out of tolerance and caused a miscommunication that triggered a transmission fault. I would know...it happened to me 6 months into ownership.

Then there is the issue with the coating on the inside of the diffs, that purportedly flaked off and gummed up the gears. That has reportedly been changed. I can't really prove that off hand; it's just what my service advisor told me.

My 2006 does have the locking rear diff so that would be in line with what you are describing.

san6279

Reaction score
I came to the conclusion, by monitoring for water in the oils. In 20k, I had additional water after a change, with no rain or fording. So, it makes sense to change it more frequently, say every 15-20k and monitor for water. Then you could adjust to suit you own situation.

Thanks for the info. Based on that and just wanting to get it checked prior to being out of warranty, will definitely get the rear diff fluid changed now.

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How are you monitoring for water in the diff oil?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water and Oil do not mix will, you should be able to tell if there is any water in the oil you drain out. Additionally, checking the drain plug for metal shavings (bearing material, bits of ring & pinion), foam (water and oil mixed) and so on. It should be fairly apparently. If you are not sure, try mixing some oil in some of your drained fluid in a bottle (just a little), to see what happens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM