What is hanging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh...I get tired of the bullish "go google it" response. I come here for answers all the time that get better context and discussion than some random internet search result. If you can't ask others a question, what's the point?

One should always "google it" as well because for all I know, the people here are full of schit LOL As in, where the hell did someone get the idea the frame was made lighter and that's the specific reason these were added?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says the guy that had no issue discussing this in another thread in 2018. ;) I read somewhere once upon a Time thanks to google that it was because they cut down on frame density and a lot of major vehicles have these. I know everything I read on the internet is true so I like to repeat it.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One should always "google it" as well because for all I know, the people here are full of schit LOL As in, where the hell did someone get the idea the frame was made lighter and that's the specific reason these were added?

LOL, if they were really trying to make the frame lighter they weren't doing a very good job of it - this is still one heavy sumbitch.

The Jeep Liberty had a damper like this its first year or two used to quell driveshaft vibes. Too short of a rear driveshaft with too steep of an angle. We called them donkey balls - if you ever look under an early Liberty you'll find a little tiny pair of balls hanging on either side of its stubby rear driveshaft, as if Jeep was trying to emasculate the vehicle before the rest of us even got the chance.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says the guy that had no issue discussing this in another thread in 2018. ;) I read somewhere once upon a Time thanks to google that it was because they cut down on frame density and a lot of major vehicles have these. I know everything I read on the internet is true so I like to repeat it.

I have never discussed the thickness of lr3 frame before nor have I proposed what the heck those weights were for. Not sure what you're referring to. Googling is a good added thing to do though to see what else can be added to a forum discussion. I may have participated in a "what the heck ARE those things for?" thread.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, if they were really trying to make the frame lighter they weren't doing a very good job of it - this is still one heavy sumbitch.

The Jeep Liberty had a damper like this its first year or two used to quell driveshaft vibes. Too short of a rear driveshaft with too steep of an angle. We called them donkey balls - if you ever look under an early Liberty you'll find a little tiny pair of balls hanging on either side of its stubby rear driveshaft, as if Jeep was trying to emasculate the vehicle before the rest of us even got the chance.

Actually I wouldn't think the frame itself is any heavier than normal but the design of this thing being pretty much a unibody on top of a ladder frame is why it's so heavy. Most vehicles have one or the other, I am not aware of any other hybrid like this.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I wouldn't think the frame itself is any heavier than normal but the design of this thing being pretty much a unibody on top of a ladder frame is why it's so heavy. Most vehicles have one or the other, I am not aware of any other hybrid like this.

Yeah, I don't know of anything modern that's built like this either. There were a few sort of like that as unibody vehicles started being built in the 60s but not to this extent. Jeep kinda/sorta did the reinforced "frame rails" thing in the XJ and ZJ but that wasn't anywhere near this.

The only reason I know this platform is like that is Top Gear -- I think in the review of the RRS when it was released they mentioned it, or it might have been the Disco 3. So I googled it. Seems LR folk claim they did it for superior rigidity, but you have to wonder if it was just a *********** of random ideas and money/time problems that resulted in a fantastic accident pooping out one of the best platforms they ever made.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never discussed the thickness of lr3 frame before nor have I proposed what the heck those weights were for. Not sure what you're referring to. Googling is a good added thing to do though to see what else can be added to a forum discussion. I may have participated in a "what the heck ARE those things for?" thread.
I didn't mean you implied anything about the frame. Just that you volunteered more than "Google it" before.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean you implied anything about the frame. Just that you volunteered more than "Google it" before.

oh well of course. but i also recommend always more "due diligence" than simply relying on forum folks. there are opinions, misinformation, and new developments in technology so you gotta be proactive IMO.

i find it silly when people ask a forum for what is a clear dealership question before trying there.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh well of course. but i also recommend always more "due diligence" than simply relying on forum folks. there are opinions, misinformation, and new developments in technology so you gotta be proactive IMO.

i find it silly when people ask a forum for what is a clear dealership question before trying there.
Gotcha. :beer:

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ask the dealer? I would rather reach out to the friendly folks on this great forum before I call JONNY 5 at the dealer who would rather soak me for more $$$ requesting I bring the vehicle in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM