What oil filter to use???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

I have a 99 D2 with 72K miles. I do not have easy access to Land Rover oil filters. The drive to the dealership is over 1 hour. The last time I was there I bought 3 filters but am now out. Are there alternatives that can be used? I have heard that only the Land Rover oil filters should be used. If so, why? What about K&N?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I only use K&N filters on my D1, easy to find at any auto parts shop and they have a very good anti-back flow (geez my mind just went completly blank).

Oh well, I allow myself two mistakes a day. I just exceeded my limit, time to go to bed.

D

discomike

Beau,
I agree,
go with the K&N 2003 which is the larger one offered, holds up well and gives you a little extra protection.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
except 200x is small one. 300x is long one.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
what is the long one originally for? Mobil 1 filters are more common in my area and I'm not sure which car to look under for the longer filter.

D

discomike

Justin,
Just go to Kragan Auto parts, most stores like that stock them.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the k&n model number for the long one was hp 3001. I've been using their filters for the last five years on three different vehicles. No complaints and I do enjoy being able to use my socket wrench instead of the crappy filter wrench that I had.

Oh yeah, here's the link over at EE. The size difference between stock and the longer filter is about 1 1/2 times.
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/kn/

Last edited:

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just use a fram truck filter. but i change my oil every trail run i do. so the oil is still yellow when i take it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM