what to do what to do, 4runner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both vehicles bone stock, the LR3 no question. Having said that, my classic has a 3 inch lift, locking t-case, ARB lockers front and rear. So in MY case, it's the classic that's more capable. After a tough trail in an LR3 you come out fresh as a daisy. With the classic you feel like someone beat you with a 2x4. Love them both in different ways.

Last edited:

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonga Green All the Way :)

Don't leave Landrover's, just think you'll have to make all new friends on another forum. :bird:

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't leave Landrover's, just think you'll have to make all new friends on another forum. :bird:

You picture reminds me that I need a wax!

And that I really want an LR4 with the plastic pieces of the LR3....
I suppose I could order LR3 parts and have them installed. Hmmm.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You picture reminds me that I need a wax!

And that I really want an LR4 with the plastic pieces of the LR3....
I suppose I could order LR3 parts and have them installed. Hmmm.

That looks cool! If memory serves me correctly, most or all of the discovery4s that went on the silk road had the plastic wings. Unless they were all 3s with the face lift hahaha.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also go with something else after having my LR3 for 6 years, each year it has become more and more "soccer mom'd". The suspension is not the end all be all, it actually is far to complicated, if anything goes wrong on a trip your basically screwed. The inability to add larger tires with no issues, is the biggest frustration possible, along with an extremely thin aftermarket. The Achilles heel, lack of parts and service in the US and Canada. Reliability still another big deal, you can't compare Land Rover to Toyota in terms of reliability, Toyota has become the gold standard. We all know the short comings of the LR yet it has not been addressed, apparently people love to have there vehicle constantly in the shop. 05 to 15, still have issues with front suspension and bushings, 10 years to work it out and not addressed, no option to have a nice simple low maintenance coil over vs the air suspension, Jeep knew to make it an option. Big mistake to get rid of the shifter and use that stupid little wheel to shift and again complicate the **** out of things. Parking sensors should also be an option, they do nothing but fail and cause annoyance. There should also be an option to have a solid roof that doesn't leak, or even a cowl or side pillars that don't leak. It is a nice vehicle but when I am out in the desert and a little plastic hose fitting breaks, and the little plastic upper radiator mounts snap or bushings that fail at 40K and undersized breaks and rotors, I get ****** about reliability and quality. I hear a lot that this is Fillet Mignon not a hamburger, well that is just not he case, I can't stand dropping senseless cash in a dealership and having my vehicle sit there for a week waiting on parts, if you do your a dump ass. Land Rover can be improved pure and simple especially when it comes to the iconic Discovery and Defender (which we can't even get).

Last edited:

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you have to say, LR is not listening to those of us who actually use the vehicle. However, I hope they never get rid of Fords split end gate, it is great, you can sit on it in the rain, get some shelter/shade from the sun, it is awesome for tail gating.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expedition Portal rates the 4Runner as one of the top 10 over landing vehicles, above the LR, again for the main reason...reliability. You will note there top vehicles are Toyota...yet LR apparently dismisses the facts. I doubt under Tata that reliability will improve over what Ford did, Ford understood how important that stigma was to address.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sogs, I agree about Toyota's reliability. I think the bit about the bushings is kind of overblown. They wear out every 50,000 miles. That isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't know what you mean about tires...I wear 32s and find that they are just the right size. I would not want to go bigger even if I could. Also, the EAS, in my opinion, has proven to be pretty darn reliable. I have had one issue with it, a work out shock after over 100,000 miles. Happened while off-road and I still made it out fine.

As for the sunroof...yeah that's shoddy Engineering, but once you get the tubes "fixed" at the ends and address the cowling ingress it's fine. I would totally agree that we shouldn't have to deal with such things, big or small, especially after paying $60,000.

That said, as far as capability and joy of ownership, the Toyota pales in comparison, as does any would-be competitors in the mid-sized SUV class.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have felt your frustrations Sogs. I have driven Toyotas my entire driving life, they are bullet proof. But the driving experience and quality of ride my LR3 (and I have owned 2 now) gives me compared to my 2010 4Runner is no comparison. Yeah these trucks can be pissy and expensive, but I can tell you, you can't get a better combo of luxury and off road capability out of the box from any other brand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9