What's most likely causing this brake noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it could be a cv or drive shaft u joint but I would expect the noise to happen under load then not while braking. Did you check the dust shield on the brake to make sure it isn't bent against the rotor?

I have and it's not bent. I just can't figure this out. I'm gonna have to go to the dealer. It only happens when I apply the brakes--and only forward not in reverse. I just don't get it.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is Pep Boys a decent place to get your LR3 brakes done?

I wouldn't go that far, I do them myself. There is nothing special about LR3 brakes except for the EPB on the rears. The EPB only comes into play if you do the rear rotors as well.

The pads are good though. I would find a trusted independent mechanic if I didn't DIY. Not crazy about chain stores.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed!

Turns out that caliper lube isn't the same thing as copper grease. I used caliper lube to grease the tabs of the brake pads that sit inside the metal clips instead of the recommended copper grease. Another DIY lesson learned for me. Follow ALL the directions.

I pulled the pads out, sanded the glazed surface, cleaned the clips off and applied some copper grease and the creaking noise magically went away.

Glad it's over...for now

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99