Whats on your LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Hello all,
after reading a few reviews I have found that the Goodyear Wrangler HP tires that are the stock tires from LR have many problems, varying from blow outs to almost every review I read cupping. I have found mine wearing averagely and are cupping too, I will not get another pair……well two pair :wink: . (I think that’s when one side of tire starts to pull up?) I have thought about replacing my HP’s with Michelin 4x4 XPC, Michelin 4x4 Synchrone, Michelin Pilot LTX or Hankook Ventus ST RH06. Has anyone used any of these tires and what do they think about them?
Another question can you use 16inch winter tires on a D2 that has ACE, I have heard that the stress that the ace puts on the tire sidewall would be too much for a 16 inch tire but donno how true this is. Does anyone run 16inch snow tires with ace?
Any information any one can give me I would really appreciate! :shakehand

D

discomike

Tar,
I am running 265/75/16's on my D2 with ACE with great results, don't worry about it.
Mike J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly when LR does any off roading events (world TREK type), all the ACE equipped LR will have 16 inch rubber under them. At least the 3 or 4 that I have seen have been that way.

As far as Tires, these are not the ones you are looking at, but I have Bridgestone AT Revo's on my Disco with around 30k miles on them, they still look great, no abnormal wearing, rotated every 5k miles been off roading with them. They don't do so well in red clay, but they do great in snow. I should be able to get at least another 30k out of them with no problems at all.

245/75-16 '97 Disco I with 107k on the clock.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
ok so if I switch to a 16 inch tire is there a ratio I have to keep so the speedo continues to tell the correct speed?
Also I have heard that snow tires are better when they are skinny, as they cut through the snow better then a wider tire is this true?

D

discomike

When you buy your tires make sure the tires store puts you on some 16" tires of the same size as the 18"s, it is not a problem to do. Make sure you stick with a truck/SUV type tires and go with a 3 ply sidewall like BFG" some GoodYears.
Yes there is a theory that a narrower tire will cut through the snow to a hard surface where wider tires will stay more on top of the snow.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Till you drive same general size (i.e 29" i think it is) as stock - your speedometer is showing same speeds as before. Thingy measuring rotation speed inside t-case, not real distance or something.

Narrower tires seems to do better in winter. Also remember that Disco is pretty heavy thingy, and if you indeed worried much about it (i am. It sucks to hit ice when you driving in mountains) - you can always do trick that we used in Sibera in ye old times - just drop couple of sacks with sand or something like that in rear of the truck :) That will increase weight and traction, and if you indeed in slippery situation, and cant get on the road - you can cut one of sacks and use sand as traction device :).

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I run 235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo and I LOVE THEM!! I have run over curbs, taken them four wheeling, run over cacti, and they are excellent! I am a huge Bridgestone fan though. I ran them on my 1994 RRC LWB and my Jeep Cherokee. Superb warranty too.
Melissa N

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bridgestones are indeed good. I wont touch goodyear tires ever again in me life - back in days of living in Houston i had two sets failing at me in two subsequent years on two different vehicles. And they never even considered warranty replacement (had GY shop right across the street from the office) till i beaten them up with stick and asked if i have to bring attorney. And no - i never run over or under inflated tires (unless they would be leaking and cracking like those sets.

Their serpentine belts on other hand seems to be quite good. Then again - i seen terrible reviews on them too.

QC is hard thing..

D

discomike

Melissa,
If your Bridgestones help up after last weeks problem, they must be good.
Smile,
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I check the air all time too (about 39 PSI) and I also religiously rotate and balance them as well. About every 5000 miles or so. I used to do a whole alot of highway miles which is why I chose the A/T Revo. And Jason gave me a heck of a deal on the tires too :) I wanted the BIG tires like some 265 or 255 but I had those on my Jeep Wrangler back in high school and that thud, thud thud, noise was ever so annoying and loud at highway speeds!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM