Which code reader to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on which code reader to buy and keep in the truck? Thanks.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faultmate MSV2 or it's younger brother, google Blackbox Solutions..:hello:

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again see black box solutions for the reset tool. The have one it is it's sole function with programmable intervals. Need to get one still as mine just hit 0 days.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was impressed by a software program called "Auto Enginuity". I had borrowed it and a laptop from a friend to find the source of a short circuit on my tow rig. Then after a weekend of wheeling the LR3, came back with a check engine light. I was able to diagnose the problem with AE and the dealer had the part waiting for me when I dropped it off.

I guess what impressed me is how many makes and models it can actually read.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

J.D.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....anyone else try this? J.D., any indication that it could be used for more than just reading codes? Like could we adjust sensors (like height sensors) and such? Reset ECU or TCM or any other modules like them?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I would have had more time. I did spend a lot of quality time with it on my powerstroke tho. There were several categories to choose from, then many sensors to monitor within each. You can monitor up to 4 at a time, for instance, my father-in-law's powerstroke kept getting the ABS light, so we monitors his speed sensors at each wheel and determined one wasn't working, therefore tripping the light.

I found my problem the same way, found a spike in the voltage at the time the issue occured and started tracing wires for that sensor and finally found a shorted wire.

You'd honestly have to call the company to get specific info about a particular model. My guess would be that is it only a diagnostic tool, not able to change parameters.

J.D.

Trynian

Reaction score
....anyone else try this? J.D., any indication that it could be used for more than just reading codes? Like could we adjust sensors (like height sensors) and such? Reset ECU or TCM or any other modules like them?

I checked in to it awhile back and it is only a code and data reader. You cannot do programming, resetting or adjusting functions on the LR3.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked in to it awhile back and it is only a code and data reader. You cannot do programming, resetting or adjusting functions on the LR3.

Good to know, but the OP is looking for a code reader. Although it it were me, I might look into one that can change parameters as well, if the costs were similar.

J.D.

Trynian

Reaction score
Good to know, but the OP is looking for a code reader. Although it it were me, I might look into one that can change parameters as well, if the costs were similar.

J.D.

Agreed, but I was answering the question from HoumWa regarding programing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635