Will maf sensor shut off D2 at highway speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sledmaker

Sorry, I posted this in *Introductions* (I'm a dope).

I've been having this trouble since I bought the 03 D2 with 38k. Problem is most prevalent when temp is 80 or above, almost no problem when cold out. Highway speed usually but not always, there may be a momentary tug prior, or not, then engine shuts off completely, dash lights all come on. Starter spins motor just fine, but no start. Open hood, wait 10-15 minutes, then restart and runs as if nothing had happened. Dealer replaced fuel pump and crank sensor, but said these were best guesses, as no codes were stored. Can I really be the only 03 D2 in the country with this problem?

The dealer has new people now and the tech said that my maf is bad and that is causing the problem. Can that be true? Won't a bad maf just trigger a default code and keep running?
My fear is that the problem was never actually found. It is out of warranty now and has 80k.

Your thoughts?

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm

Normally when the maf sensor goes out of range, it will send a trouble code turning on the check engine light, especially when it is sufficiently out of range to stall the engine. It does sound similar to some ground issues or power supply issues I’ve seen. Not being there, I’ll need more information.
Ground cables and ohm readings at connections.
What condition is your battery terminals in ?
Voltage at battery ?
Alternator output ? DC or AC and has the rectifier failed ?
Any blown fuses ?
Any current modifications ? anything, including electrical
Any trouble codes ?
Open or shunt circuitry ?
Fuel manifold pressure ?
Last tune up ?
Connectors and condition ?
Any other troubles ?

Of course any other info will help others help you……………….. With this info that you posted isn’t sufficient to really isolate the issue of engine stalling.

Good luck Chongo :bandit:

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the above, but also check to make sure your battery is good... have it tested.

S

sledmaker

The battery and the positive cable were replaced 1 year ago. I'll check those other items tomorrow. I changed the plugs and wires 2 months ago, and I put Bosch Platinum 4 plugs in last week.

This is interesting....

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the cable - even the new one - I had a similar problem a few years back on a suzuki and it was definietly electrical cable. The MAF is supposed to throw a code at you and, believe me they are very sensitive and will throw codes if you give them the slightest excuse to (at least that has been my experience).

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No matter if the battery was changed last week, it still sounds electrical and I would check it.

S

sledmaker

Thanks all for the fresh perspective. I will be spending some time with the Evil One this weekend. How about this possibility: fuel pump relay? Bad connection somewhere? Have any of you found a frequent problem with this year/model?

I used to be a mechanic in a Honda/Yamaha/Triumph/BSA dealer and certain makes had certain kinds of problems. Triumphs would go up in a cloud of smoke for no apparent reason when there rectifiers would suddenly break down. Yamahas would blow headlights when their batteries would become low on water. Hondas wouldn't start after the ignition switch got water in it from being relocated to the handle bars. When you work among them, you see things.

I am hoping one of you knows more about this than the dealers around here (Chicago). I live in Michigan, but Chicago has the nearest dealers.

The dealer coul not find a specific problem, so they replaced the fuel pump, crank sensor, battery, and pos cable. I know intermittent problems can be hell to solve, but I feel better with your collective knowledge.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Still sounds oddly electrically almost like with something gets hot... battery, alternator, ECU... something is getting hot and shutting down.

S

sledmaker

When the shutdown happens, no code is stored, which makes it hard to diagnose.

How many ways are there to turn off the engine at highway speed without causing an error code?

All of the dash lights light up after the engine dies, and the starter spins the engine easily. ECU? Relay? Ignition switch?

I am prone to believe the electrical system is the root of the problem, rather than tuneup items, since the car has had the problem since I bought it with 38k. Sudden and total power loss; cool down, restart; no codes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet on the ECU... since no codes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635