Windshield Film

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hazy film on my windshield and I believe it is in between the glass. Has anyone ever seen this issue before on the LR3?

I thought it was on the outside of the window but after trying nearly everything from cleaners to glass polish with an orbital I am beginning to thing its inside the glass.

IMG_0271.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's bad! Indeed the laminated windshield is composed of "layers" of glass. If you have the optional heated windshield (I think it's part of the Cold Package, at least on my RRS? Can't tell if your windshield has it, but I suspect it does) the very thin heating filaments are also sandwiched between those layers. I am no expert, but the only logical explanation would be that the laminated glass is separating along the edges, allowing moisture to get in and dry out, leaving that haze behind. Whatever it is, it's dangerous and should definitely be covered by warranty, if your car is still covered (hopefully.)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, if it's really as a bad as the picture looks I would think it falls under the "who gives a crap if it's under warranty, FIX IT!" Category. But then again, you're dealing with Rover and not Lexus so who knows...

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to try cleaning with a decent glass cleaner and a peice of newspaper? It does look pretty crazy!

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glass cleaner and newspaper wouldnt work half as good as the griots glass buffing compound and random orbital that I tried... :smile:

I really do think its in between the glass... Update.. My dealership said my car is out of Warrantee... And even better.. they are refusing to give me service any longer. I just got done with a little small claims law suite over the tires that were on the car during my purchase. Of course I won in court... so the ***** who owns the dealership is ******. :mad:

Gonna see if my aftermarket warrantee covers it... if not.. I dont know...:confused:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw the stealer then, they are useless after the mfg warranty is up, anyway. :biggrin: Also check the fine print of your auto insurance, some policies include a glass / windshield rider (usually with little or no deductible), and although yours is not literally cracked or broken, it might as well be... Can't safely drive like that. The OEM windshield is an expensive replacement otherwise, I heard quotes of $600 to 1000 for the heating type, so even using the comprehensive coverage of your insurance may be cheaper - depending on your deductible of course. Never seen anything like that, except maybe some shower doors.

Last edited:

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I broke my windshield on the way home from the dealership the day I bought it (BIG rock at 70 mph). Got it fixed at a local glass shop (they had no problem with the rain sensor or the heating element, took them 3 days to get the replacement in). Problem was that it cost $1,600 installed. Everything works great. Never considered going back to the dealer for glass, insurance paid all but the deductable.

David

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could give a shoot with a mineral spirits and acetone in two different spots...(long story behind it...)
I am just glad it is you not me...
Good luck!!!

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the car insurance usually covers windshields...you could always get an accidental stone on your way ..or parking lot...They have covered mine on my DII few years ago..

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a dump truck hauling gravel on the highway and drive behind it until a rock flies out and cracks your windshield. You may need to help it along at home (tap tap tap with a chisel). I think insurance should take care of the rest. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM