With my last fill up I am getting fuel fumes in the cabin...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be many things, but a relatively common failure is the plastic "locking ring" that secures the sending unit into the top of the factory fuel tank.

They crack and allow vapor/fluid to leak.

Mine had this and became progressively worse over time to the point of fuel leaking down to puddle on the ground.

Parts to repair this are cheap, it just the hassle of dropping the tank to replace it.

If it is this, make sure to replace the gasket, and the locking ring.

jdeawright

Reaction score
Thanks! I subsequently found other posts about my issue. I'm handy. Is dropping the tank at home something you would recommend?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself, but Ihave seen it done. It is doable if you're handy. I would just recommend running it almost empty or siphoning the fuel out to lighten the weight.

A lift and something like a transmission jack would make it much easier.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I subsequently found other posts about my issue. I'm handy. Is dropping the tank at home something you would recommend?

Before you get to an irreversible point, check all the bolts. On mine there is at least one that is nearly impossible to access without invasive removal of some other item like a cross member. I forget exactly, I just recall it being like "oh, that'll suck to have to do just to get the tank out" Also, the bolts under there will be the worst corroded if yours has corrosion. Often they will have to be cut off.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest is correct about the bolts being corroded. Depending upon the age of your vehicle and how and where it was driven, there will be a certain amount of corrosion. I needed to have the fuel sending unit replaced and it took the shop a day and a half to get all of the bolts loosened after soaking them. Avslash is also correct as I had the same issue with the gas smell but no visible leak. It might be better to have a shop handle this one if those bolts are corroded.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I stood around and watched my indy LR guy drop the tank to replace the cracked locking ring.

IIRC, he had the tank down in less than 15 minutes, without issue.

Granted, this was on a 2 post lift, with a transmission jack to support the tank, but I don't recall anything else needing to come out to get the tank down, other than the TR gas tank skid plate that I have.

He dropped the tank, we figured out what parts were needed (locking ring and gasket), I took another shop vehicle and ran to the local dealer and bought the parts, came back, and he had it back together again in short order.

IDK, Maybe something changed from the LR3 to LR4 configuration, but I don't recall thinking it would have been a big deal to do myself, other than not having a way to support the tank at home.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I might be running into the same issue as I occasionally smell fumes on fill ups. Is there any way to visually verify if it's the lock ring without pulling everything out?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My indie told me it is not an infrequent failure, and the dealer had the parts readily on hand, which tends to further that argument.

You MIGHT be able to examine it with an extendable mirror from the middle side of the car. The tank sits right up against the passenger side frame rail, so not much chance there. There is some room on the other side, albeit, not a lot.

I would probably do this.

1. You know something is leaking because you smell gas fumes when you didn't before.
2. Drop the passenger side rear fender liner and check all of the connections from the tank to the fill neck, vapor canister, etc. There are quite a few of them.
3. Check your fuel lines for signs of a leak under the hood to be sure you are not sniffing it out from there.
4. Examine the visible portions of the tank itself to make sure it is not cracked.
5. If all of the above checks out, then by default, it has to be something on the top side of the tank.

I tend to think it would be something that I mentioned or something above the tank. I know from experience that these trucks will throw a code if certain things are amiss amongst the connections at the fill neck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM