Door Latch Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be an issue only with '05 and maybe some "06 models. The drivers door latch can fail and you wont be able to lock the drivers door with the remote. In addition the other doors will not unlock when you turn off the ignition. This is a slowly evolving problem. I noticed the doors occasionally not unlocking about two years ago. About six months later the failure to lock issue began. Sometimes it would "fix its self" only to reappear a month latter. If you find yourself in this situation say, at the airport about to leave and the door won't lock, try manually operating the interior lock lever and the electric lock and unlock switches several times, this may temporarily fix the problem. From looking at the old latch mechanism it appears the fault may be a poorly designed "interlock" lever that combines the interior lock lever, the internal electric lock drive and the emergency exterior unlock. The levers can become "out of synch" for lack of a better term and the lock won't work. Playing with the switches and the lock might bring everything back into alinement but the fix is only temporary.

I bought the new lock (part no. FQJ500470 for about $100 with tax and shipping) and I found a repair guide on the DISCO3.CO.UK website. Here is a link: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33743.html?highlight=replacing+door+latch+window+regulator

I'll add a couple comments: You don't need to remove the window track and the window regulator does not need to be removed from the door. Remove the four bolts and two nuts, release the window glass, (very easy) and just slide the regulator to the front of the door. There are three cables going to the US version latch: interior pull, external pull and emergency unlock. All cables connect to the latch in the same manner but removing and installing the emergency unlock is very frustrating. You need to work with one hand inside the door and two fingers through the latch slot. After finishing the job, I think I see an easier way to remove and attach these cables, which is the only challenging part of the job. Look on what would be the outer side of the new latch (installed position) and there is a T-20 torx screw, remove it. Look along the edge of the plastic cover retained by that screw, at the top there is a very tiny slot, if you stick a very small screw driver in to that slot, you can remove this cover and have MUCH improved access to the cables. With that cover off you can do this job in about 1 hour and without the cuts and cramps in your fingers. I hope this helps someone although by now, many of these early models might have had this defect already repaired.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's side rear door latch has been intermittent for the past year. I finally got around to replacing it tonight. The job is not terribly complicated, but what makes it difficult is the manual dexterity required to remove the cable closest to the actual latch. Kudos to kwlr3 for the tip about not needing to remove the window track and window regulator. The seems to be a big portion of the job for the guys across the pond on the disco3 site. I simply undid the bolts for the regulator and slid it towards the front of the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72