Shifting into 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a auto tranny in my disco, and also that high diff/ low diff stick, i have seen my father shift into the AWD or 4x4 mode before ( Yellow light comes on with axels meaning its on? ) but I never know how to do this. and I dont want to screw anything up so is there a specific way of doing this?

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always in 4x4 mode. The yellow light indicates the CDL (center differential lock) has been engaged. The CDL is engaged by moving the lever to the left, and disengages moving the lever to the right. You can do that while you're moving.

Shifting the transfer case from high to low or low to high should be done with the transmission in neutral...don't know but maybe while trans is in park is fine also. And I think you're supposed to be not moving...or going very slowly to shift high-low or low-high. I always stop the vehicle when shifting the transfer case.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 5 positions on the Center Diff Lock Lever.

1. Neutral, which runs left to right across the middle;
  2. 4 high unlocked, which is back and to the right;
  3. 4 high locked, which is back and to the left;
  4. 4 low unlocked, which is forward and to the right; and
  5. 4 low locked, which is forward and to the left.
Locking the center differential ensures that engine power is distributed equally between the front and rear axles.

You can engage or disengage the center diff lock at any time and in any gear, which can help your chances of having power at a wheel that needs it in slippery conditions. However, you should only engage 4 Low from 4 high -- or vice versa -- while in neutral and rolling very slowly (your gears will clash otherwise, and it's not pretty).

This is a basic overview but it should help you understand the center diff lock feature. Others with more specific technical know-how might chime in on details....

Hope this helps,

Andy

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this question sounded familiar: Click here and scroll down a ways...

:biggrin:

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by locked an unlocked?

Moose said:
There are 5 positions on the Center Diff Lock Lever.

1. Neutral, which runs left to right across the middle;
  2. 4 high unlocked, which is back and to the right;
  3. 4 high locked, which is back and to the left;
  4. 4 low unlocked, which is forward and to the right; and
  5. 4 low locked, which is forward and to the left.
Locking the center differential ensures that engine power is distributed equally between the front and rear axles.

You can engage or disengage the center diff lock at any time and in any gear, which can help your chances of having power at a wheel that needs it in slippery conditions. However, you should only engage 4 Low from 4 high -- or vice versa -- while in neutral and rolling very slowly (your gears will clash otherwise, and it's not pretty).

This is a basic overview but it should help you understand the center diff lock feature. Others with more specific technical know-how might chime in on details....

Hope this helps,

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - its time to write FAQ : "Discovery 4x4: 101" :) with pictures.

Matt - unlocked/locked refers to central differential. While unlocked even "all time 4wd" (do not mistaken with all wheel drive) will transfer power as it pleases between front and rear. When locked - its 50/50 split. then its up to differentials on axles to deal with power delivery. Open differential will deliver more power to eaiest spinning part (axle in case of central diff, or half-shaft in case of diff on axle). Hence all the locking differentials, limited slip differentials - to improve power delivery in case of questionable traction.

S

sukka

help please
i have a disco 2 01
when i bougth it it star and engine runs
but when try to shif and pressing the brake the light of the diff lock light up red
and the stick dont muve. i went under the unit and muve a lock by the transs
now i dont know where that lock needs to be. the problem persits. now i have the warning light all the time in the dash. before just when brake was press. thank you.

G

go5oh

I have a 96 disco that I bought used and it won't shift sideways to lock the center diff. Has ne1 had this problem before? Is there a linkage between shifter and center diff?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635