Low tire pressure indicator light didn't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember having to drill out rivets. Are you sure those aren’t just guide pins?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They could be guide pins, they need to be drilled out or cut off. I don't have the tools so it looks like I'll need to replace it. British Atlantic has one but it has an eye hole for the crank shaft and not a bolt like the original. Its also $180 vs $453. I would normally think to go original but it seems like a premature failure tbh.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get the necessary tools for less to crack it open. Granted you might still need to replace once you see the carnage inside.

ugmw177

Reaction score
i would just get one of the cheapo ebay ones or perhaps a good southern car junk yard special. its not like the winch is rocket science. I think the ebay ones are like $60

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just get one of the cheapo ebay ones or perhaps a good southern car junk yard special. its not like the winch is rocket science. I think the ebay ones are like $60
I'd love to have a bone yard around with Land Rovers. When I was a kid we had them in our area and when doing repairs that was a big savings. Then Pull-your-part came in and that made it even cheaper. My old '99 Camaro Z28 SS w/LS1 had one of its T-Tops blow off on the freeway and there was a guy out in Alabama with a bone yard of Camaro parts that I bought it from 1/2 price off new.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd probably go with this one, however I doubt it is actually an OE part.
That looks a lot like the versions sold on ebay. I'm glad there are options lol. Land Rover didn't cheap out on the materials of the original. The cable looks good too, beefy and strong. I'm starting to think this part was intended to fail.
My concern with the 3rd party winches is they have the eye hole for the crank instead of the lugnut design. When I was operating the original crank that is shaped like a tall lug nut, I used the supplied lug nut wrench and twisted it quite easily to lower the tire. The bolt is the same size as the lug nuts. There were a lot of twists involved. With they 3rd party winches, that eye hole may change the entire operation of lowering because I don't have a tool to rotate the new unit. The primary attachment to the jack has an eye hook to mate with the new eye hole in the winch, but the diameter is too small to rotate the winch crank with it rotating vertical like I did with the lug nut wrench.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the newer models have the eye hook style, and I heard it was to prevent garage monkeys from using their impact wrenches to make quick work of raising the spare.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the newer models have the eye hook style, and I heard it was to prevent garage monkeys from using their impact wrenches to make quick work of raising the spare.
Someone probably took an impact wrench to mine and broke it lol. What tool do people use to raise and lower the spare with the new eye hook style?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72